Better than sex cake
|Alternative names||Better than Robert Redford Cake|
|Place of origin||United States|
|Serving temperature||Chilled, or just cooled|
|Main ingredients||Flour, sugar, eggs, filling, sugar mixture|
Better than sex cake, also known as Is It Really Better Than Sex? Cake, Better than Robert Redford cake, or even Better than Best Cake is a cake consisting of a chocolate cake mix, of the maker's choosing, a moist center, and whipped cream covering the exterior. Some versions of the recipe are very similar to an upside-down cake. The cake's origins are unknown and recipes exist from the 1980s, but the recipe received a surge in popularity after Paula Deen featured the dessert on her series Paula's Home Cooking.
The cake's moist center is typically created by inserting a fork into the cake several times and filling the holes with a mixture containing sugar and a flavoring or fruit such as pineapple. It is traditionally baked using a 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan and then refrigerated and eaten cold. The basic recipe for the cake has been altered depending on the tastes of the person making the cake and alternates include vanilla, banana, or candy flavors.
- Dave Monroe, Fritz Allhoff (2007). Food and Philosophy: Eat, Think, and Be Merry. Wiley-Blackwell. p. 166. ISBN 1405157755.
- "East meets west on Susan Chartier's Island". KCAW. September 7, 2013. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- Schwartz, Marlyn (April 29, 1990). "Can food be better than sex?". Dallas Morning News. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- Holland, Barb (Oct 21, 1992). "Pineapples make cake 'better than sex'". Toronto Star. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- Bennet, Bev (February 18, 1993). "`Better-Than-Sex' Takes the Cake". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Several ways to make cake better than sex". Austin American-Statesman. April 13, 1994. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Better Than Sex' Recipe Takes The Cake In Contest". Lawrence Journal-World. Oct 28, 1998. Retrieved 23 September 2013.