Bettina Korek (born 1978) is an American arts advocate, writer, and the founder of ForYourArt, a public practice organization based in Los Angeles. She founded ForYourArt a platform to produce and distribute artists’ work. Korek is also a member of the Los Angeles County Arts Commission
Early life and education
Bettina Korek was born and raised in Southern California. She grew up in Van Nuys, a suburb of Los Angeles and later in Westwood, to a father in finance and a mother in graphic design. Her mother often took her on trips “up over the hill” to Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) and instilled in her a deep passion for the arts. Korek studied art history at Princeton University and spent a year studying French in Paris. She returned to Los Angeles after graduation to work in the prints and drawing department of LACMA, where she worked for Kevin Salation. Korek founded ForYourArt to create more public engagement with the growing Los Angeles art scene.
Korek founded ForYourArt to create more public engagement with the growing Los Angeles art scene. The company, which launched in 2006, publishes a weekly newsletter listing art-related events and cultural happenings in Los Angeles. From 2011 to 2015, ForYourArt operated a brick-and-mortar space in mid-city Los Angeles that hosted short-term events and exhibits in coordination with museums and other partners around the city. The inaugural event was a 24-hour donut buffet in collaboration with LACMA's 24-hour screening of Christian Marclay's The Clock. In 2013 as part of the Hammer Museum’s Arts ReStore LA project, Bettina Korek and ForYourArt transformed an empty Westwood Boulevard storefront into a temporary gallery titled Give Good Art.
Positions and affiliation
Korek has organized gallery programs for the Getty´s Pacific Standard Time initiative.
In 2019 Frieze Fairs was launched in Los Angeles with Korek as executive director of the Southern California fair.
- ForYourArt, official website . accessed 8 December 2015.
- "L.A.'s Art Insider: Bettina Korek". Wall Street Journal.
- Wilson, Joanne (2016-05-09). "Bettina Korek, For Your Art, Entrepreneur". Gotham Gal. Retrieved 2020-06-02.
- "This Ambitious Young Entrepreneur Has Big Plans To Revamp The Arts Scene In Los Angeles". Business Insider.
- "Bettina Korek: Culture Jammer". Los Angeles Magazine.
- "Frieze to launch a Los Angeles art fair at Paramount Studios in 2019". Los Angeles Times. 2018-02-22. Retrieved 2020-06-02.
- "Frieze Los Angeles Director Bettina Korek Named Chief Executive of Serpentine Galleries". www.artforum.com. Retrieved 2020-06-02.
- "Bettina Korek Named CEO of the Serpentine Galleries". www.architectmagazine.com. Retrieved 2020-06-02.
- Finkel J. Bettina Korek. Art + Auction [serial online]. March 2008;31(10):124-125. Available from: Art Source, Ipswich, MA. Accessed March 6, 2016.