Betting and Gaming Act 1960
|Act of Parliament|
|Commencement||1 January 1961|
|Repealed by||Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Act 1963|
|Relates to||Gaming Act 1968|
|Records of Parliamentary debate relating to the statute from Hansard|
The Betting and Gaming Act 1960 was a British Act of Parliament that legalised additional forms of gambling in the United Kingdom. It was passed on 1 September 1960 and came into effect on 1 January 1961.
Based on the recommendations of the Royal Commission on Betting, Lotteries and Gaming, 1949–51, the act came into force on 1 January 1961 and first allowed gambling for small sums in games of skill such as bridge. From May 1961 betting shops were allowed to open.
Until 1965 about 16,000 licences were granted by local magistrates.
The aim was to take gambling off the street and end the practice of runners (employed by bookmakers) collecting from punters, a move welcomed by the clergy. Fines would be imposed at a later date to any street gambling.
The opening of betting shops affected the greyhound racing industry in the United Kingdom with attendances suffering throughout Britain. From 1961-1969 there were 21 National Greyhound Racing Club (NGRC) registered track closures and many independent (unaffiliated to a governing body) track closures. The act is regarded as one of the primary reasons for the decline of greyhound racing with 91 NGRC track closures alone recorded from 1960-2010.
- "1960: Game on for British betting shops". BBC News.
- "The Betting and Gaming Act, 1960". Journal of Criminal Law. 25 (2): 149–55. 1961. doi:10.1177/002201836102500209.
- "On this day: 1 September 1960 Game on for British betting shops". BBC News Online. 1 September 2008. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- Stan Hey (5 April 2008). "Our national love affair: a history of the betting shop". The Independent. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- Rock, Graham (2001-04-29). "Past, present and future of legal betting". the Guardian. Retrieved 2016-07-14.
- Genders, Roy (1981). The Encyclopedia of Greyhound Racing. Pelham Books Ltd. ISBN 07207-1106-1.
- Hobbs, Jonathan (2007). Greyhound Annual 2008. Raceform. ISBN 978-1-905153-53-4.
- Mentions of the Betting and Gaming Act 1960 in Hansard.
- Mark Griffiths (2009-04-29). "Great Britain". In Gerhard Meyer; Tobias Hayer; Mark Griffiths (eds.). Problem Gambling in Europe: Challenges, Prevention, and Interventions. Springer Science & Business Media. pp. 103–22. ISBN 978-0-3870-9486-1.
|This legislation in the United Kingdom, or its constituent jurisdictions, article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|