Bettis Atomic Power Laboratory
Bettis Atomic Power Laboratory is a U.S. Government-owned research and development facility in the Pittsburgh suburb of West Mifflin, Pennsylvania, that works exclusively on the design and development of nuclear power for the U.S. Navy. It was one of the leaders in creating the nuclear navy.
The laboratory, which is part of the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program, a joint U.S Navy-Department of Energy program responsible for the research, design, construction, operation and maintenance of U.S. nuclear-powered warships is operated by Bechtel Marine Propulsion Corporation.
The laboratory was founded in 1949 on the site of the former Bettis Field, named after Cyrus Bettis. It covers approximately 207 acres (0.84 km2). From the Lab's founding until 1998, it was run by Westinghouse Electric Corporation. Bechtel Corporation won the contract to run the laboratory on September 19, 2008 and assumed operation on February 1, 2009, first under its subsidiary Bechtel Bettis, Inc., later under Bechtel Marine Propulsion Corporation.
The laboratory developed Oak Ridge National Laboratory's original design of the pressurized water reactor (PWR) for operational naval use. It built the nuclear propulsion plants for the first U.S. nuclear submarines and surface ships including the USS Nautilus (SSN-571), the USS George Washington (SSBN-598), the USS Long Beach (CGN-9), and the USS Enterprise (CVN-65) .
Westinghouse's Nuclear Power Division adapted the PWR design for commercial use and built the first commercial nuclear power plant in the United States, the Shippingport Power Plant in the west hills of Pittsburgh.
The laboratory is also home to the U.S. Navy's Bettis Reactor Engineering School. The school provides a post-graduate certificate program in Nuclear Engineering with a focus on nuclear reactor design, construction, and operations. It is open only to Naval personnel and Bettis engineers.
The laboratory had been chosen to develop the Project Prometheus nuclear power source for the JIMO (Jupiter Icy Moons Orbiter) project, however, funding for this program was cancelled in the fall of 2005.
- Bechtel Corporation: Bechtel Awarded Contracts for Bettis, Knolls Laboratories
- IEEE - IEEE History Center
- Bettis Atomic Power Laboratory - United States Nuclear Forces
- Naval Reactors (NR): A Potential Model for Improved
Personnel Management in the Department of Energy (DOE)
- EPA (2005). "Bettis Atomic Power Laboratory" (PDF). Region 3 GPRA Baseline RCRA Corrective Action Facility. Retrieved 2005-12-29.
- IEEE (1971). "John W. Simpson". IEEE History Center. Retrieved 2005-12-29.
- GlobalSecurity.org (2005). "Bettis Atomic Power Laboratory". Weapons of Mass Destruction. Retrieved 2005-12-29.
- TOP500 (2005). "DOE/Bettis Atomic Power Laboratory". TOP500 Supercomputer Sites. Retrieved 2005-12-29.
- FAS. "Naval Reactors (NR): A Potential Model for Improved Personnel Management in the Department of Energy (DOE)". Retrieved 2005-12-29.
- "Nuclear: Officer: Careers & Jobs: Navy". Navy Careers & Jobs. U.S. Navy. 2005. Archived from the original on 2005-08-28. Retrieved 2005-12-29.
- "Bechtel Awarded Contracts for Bettis, Knolls Laboratories". Bechtel Corporation. 2008. Retrieved 2011-02-03.