|vocal harmonies, bass+cello+guitar|
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for music. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|This does not cite any sources. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
BETTY is an alternative rock group from New York City.
The band was formed in Washington D.C. around the scene of the 9:30 club.
In 1989, the band relocated to NYC. The name of their first album, "Hello, BETTY!" comes from the standard opening for all their appearances. In 1995, the band expanded by adding Tony Salvatore on lead guitar and drums to the initial line-up of vocals with electronic accompaniment, bass and cello.
BETTY appeared in every episode of the 1989 HBO Series Encyclopedia, singing educational songs each centered on a particular word, as well as performing the opening and closing theme songs. The members involved were Alyson Palmer/Amy Ziff/Elizabeth Ziff, although they were credited in the show's opening titles as simply "BETTY".
In 2002 the group starred in its own off-Broadway show BETTY RULES directed by Rent's Michael Greif. The musical ran for 9 months at the Zipper Theatre. The show has since been performed in Chicago at the Lakeside Theatre and sold-out three runs at Theater J in Washington, DC. BETTY has appeared as a regular guest artist on the television show The L Word, for which they provided the theme song,
Activist entertainers, BETTY is as well known for their performances at rallies for causes in which they believe (including equality and rights for women and girls) as they are for their 7 T.V. theme songs, film appearances and commercial jingles. Although the band on television's 'Phineas and Ferb' bears an uncanny resemblance, Disney proclaims that is not the same BETTY.
- Elizabeth Ziff (vocals, guitar)
- Alyson Palmer (vocals, bass)
- Amy Ziff (vocals, cello)
- Tony Salvatore (lead guitar)
- Mino Gori (drums)
- 1994: Hello, BETTY!
- 1994: Kiss My Sticky (EP)
- 1996: Limboland
- 1999: betty3
- 2000: Carnival
- 2002: BETTY RULES: Original Cast Recording
- 2004: Snowbiz (EP)
- 2009: Bright & Dark
- 2013 Rise (EP)
- 1986: "Encyclopedia"—HBO (house band)
- "Real Sex"—HBO (theme song)
- "The L Word"—Showtime (theme song and regular appearances)
- "Weeds"—Showtime (end credits song, season 6, episode 8)
- "Cover Shot"—TLC (theme song)
- "Out on the Edge"—Comedy Central (house band and theme song)
- "Ms. Adventure"—Animal Planet (theme song)
- "Fashionably Late"—TLC (theme song)
- "Remote Control"—MTV (guest appearance)
- "USA Up All Night"—USA (guest host)
- "Love Bites"—NBC (2011)
- 1993: Life with Mikey
- 1994: It's Pat
- 1995: The Incredibly True Adventures of Two Girls in Love
- 1997: "First We Take Manhattan"
- 1999: The Out-of-Towners
- Rock for Choice
- June 10, 1992: Sondheim: A Celebration at Carnegie Hall
- http://www.sho.com/site/lword/home.do[permanent dead link]