Betty and Veronica (comic book)
|Betty and Veronica|
Archie's Girls Betty and Veronica #347 (April 1987)
|Publication date||(vol. 1)
March 1950 - April 1987
June 1987 - October 2015 (vol. 3)
July 2016 - Present
|Number of issues||(vol. 1): 355 (#1-347, plus 8 annuals)
(vol. 2): 278
(vol. 3): 2
|Main character(s)||Betty Cooper and Veronica Lodge|
|Writer(s)||Various (vol. 1-2)
Adam Hughes (vol. 3)
|Artist(s)||Various, including Dan DeCarlo (vol. 1-2)
Adam Hughes (vol. 3)
Betty and Veronica (also known as Archie's Girls Betty and Veronica) is an ongoing comic book series published by Archie Comics focusing on "best friends and worst enemies" Betty Cooper and Veronica Lodge. Betty first appeared in Pep Comics #22 while Veronica made her debut a few months later, in Pep #26, as an immediate rival to Betty for Archie's affections. Together the pair form the female part of the classic love triangle which has become a staple of the comic series since 1942.
Archie's Girls Betty and Veronica was first published on March 1950 and ran for 347 issues before ending in April 1987. The run additionally included eight annual publications published from 1953 to 1980. A new Betty and Veronica series launched with a #1 on June 1987. This volume ended in late 2015 with 278 issues (625 overall issues if you count volume one). Stories from previous issues of Betty and Veronica have been reprinted in Archie Comics' digest series starring the two females.
In April 2015, Archie Comics announced that Betty and Veronica, a new series taking place in their rebooted "New Riverdale" universe would debut in July. The series will be written and drawn by Adam Hughes.
Volume 1 (1950-1987)
- In issue #4, artist Dan DeCarlo did his first work for Archie, beginning a fifty-year career with the publishing house.
- Issue #118 (October 1965) featured the first appearance of Betty's superheroine alter ego, Superteen, a spoof on the popular superhero comics at the time.
- Issue #320 (October 1982) featured the first appearance of Cheryl Blossom, a redhead from Pembroke who competed with Betty and Veronica for Archie's affection.
Volume 2 (1987-2015)
Stories center around the daily life in Riverdale, which includes school, sports, part-time jobs, and romance. Most stories usually feature the two females as fight for Archie's affections. On occasion, stories will delve into more serious subjects such as divorce or cheating.
At New York Comic Con in 2013, Archie Comics announced that Betty and Veronica would leave Riverdale in Farewell, Betty and Veronica written by Michael Uslan with art by Dan Parent, and that two new female characters would replace them. The six-issue arc, titled Farewell to Betty and Veronica, was published from November 2014 to August 2015 through issues #272-277.
Volume 3 (2016-)
The new series will focus on Pops’ Chocklit Shoppe being taken over by a huge coffee company. Betty and Veronica each take opposing viewpoints over the issue.
- Archie's Girls, [comma sic] Betty and Veronica Annual at the Grand Comics Database
- Betty and Veronica at the Grand Comics Database
- Archie's Girls Betty and Veronica at the Grand Comics Database
- Introduction to comic cover with "new look" Archived June 10, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- Review at mediabistro Archived October 10, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- Official Archie.com Betty & Veronica blog" Archived July 22, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- NYCC Archie Comics Shocker: Farewell, Betty and Veronica. Retrieved October 15, 2013, from NerdSpan.