Bettye Ackerman as Dr. Maggie Graham and Vince Edwards as Ben Casey
|Born||Bettye Louise Ackerman
February 28, 1924
Cottageville, South Carolina, U.S.
|Died||November 1, 2006
Columbia, South Carolina, U.S.
|Other names||Bettye Ackerman Jaffe|
|Spouse(s)||Sam Jaffe (1956–1984; his death)|
Ackerman was born in Cottageville, South Carolina, (Another source says she was born in Williston, South Carolina.) the daughter of Clarence Kilgo Ackerman and Mary Baker Ackerman, and grew up in Williston, in Barnwell County in southwestern South Carolina, one of four children. She graduated from Columbia College in South Carolina in 1945 and left for New York City soon after. She studied theater at the graduate level at Columbia University and pursued art studies with Joseph Mugnaini and George DeGroat at Otis Art Institute.
Ackerman played Dr. Maggie Graham on the ABC medical drama, Ben Casey, from 1961 until 1966. She played Anne Frazer on Bracken's World and the original Constance MacKenzie on the daytime program Return to Peyton Place. She appeared in an early episode of prime time soap Falcon Crest portraying the character of Elisabeth Bradbury. She also appeared in two episodes of Perry Mason, starring Raymond Burr: in 1965 she played the role of Amy Reid in the episode, "The Case of the Thermal Thief," and in 1966 she played Laura Brandon in "The Case of the Positive Negative." In 1977, she appeared in "Never Con a Killer," the pilot for the ABC crime drama The Feather and Father Gang.
Ackerman's film debut came in Face of Fire in 1959.
On June 7, 1956, Ackerman, at 32, married her future Ben Casey co-star Sam Jaffe, who was then 65. Although there was a 33-year difference in their ages, the couple had a very successful and happy marriage- until Jaffe died of cancer in 1984. They had no children.
Ackerman was also a noted artist, who had numerous exhibits in both Beverly Hills and Columbia, South Carolina.
- Face of Fire (1959) as Grace Trescott
- Companions in Nightmare (1968) as Sara Nicholson
- Rascal (1969) as Miss Whalen
- Ben Casey (ABC) (1961–1966) as Dr. Maggie Graham
- Breaking Point (ABC) as Eunice Osment in "Better Than a Dead Lion" (1964)
- Bracken's World (NBC) (1970) as Anne Frazer, Bracken's secretary
- The Sixth Sense (ABC) (1972) as Helene, a piano instructor, and mother of a psychic, who attempts murder
- Falcon Crest (1982) as Elisabeth Bradbury
- "Bettye Ackerman". Variety. November 20, 2006. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "Betty Jaffe". Pennsylvania, Indiana. The Indiana Gazette. November 21, 2006. p. 36. Retrieved February 16, 2016 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Actress plans to exhibit monotypes at Erskine". South Carolina, Greenwood. The Index-Journal. March 1, 1982. p. 5. Retrieved February 16, 2016 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Bettye Ackerman". Playbill Vault. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- Peter B. Flint (March 25, 1984). "Sam Jaffe, a Character Actor on Stage and Film, Dies at 93". The New York Times.
- "Bettye Jaffe". Illinois, Chicago. The Daily Herald. November 22, 2006. p. 19. Retrieved February 15, 2016 – via Newspapers.com.