|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Place of origin||Indonesia|
|Region or state||Bali and Lombok|
|Serving temperature||hot or room temperature|
|Main ingredients||roasted chicken or duck in spices|
|Cookbook: Betutu Media: Betutu|
Betutu is a Balinese dish of steamed or roasted chicken or duck in rich bumbu betutu (betutu spice mix). This highly seasoned and spiced dish is a popular dish in Bali and Lombok, Indonesia. An even spicier version is available using extra-spicy sauce made from uncooked (raw) onion slices mixed with red chili peppers and coconut oil.
Betutu is a richly spiced Balinese poultry dish. It is often called according to its main ingredients; ayam betutu is chicken betutu, while bebek betutu is its duck version. This traditional dish is very popular nowadays. It can be found in the menu of luxury hotels or restaurants in Bali. It takes at least 24 hours to cook. Many travelers from other regions of Indonesia brought Betutu dishes as Balinese-gift for their families. This dish is also popular among tourists who travel to Bali.
The term betutu is Balinese word for certain spice mixture ( bumbu) which consist of shallots, garlic, tumeric, ginger, wild ginger, galangal, candlenuts, chili peppers, shrimp paste and peanuts; all finely ground using mortar and pestle. The betutu spice paste is the sauteed with coconut oil to release its aroma, and applied upon poultry, chicken or duck.
In Bali, betutu's tastes and ways of cooking are different according to regions;
- Klungkung’s betutu chicken is stuffed with cooking-spices.
- Gianyar’s betutu is cooked with plantain leaf wrapping.
- Gilimanuk’s betutu is also very popular with its hot and spicy flavors such as garlic, onion, red chili peppers, turmeric, ginger, black pepper, and coconut oil.
- Ayam Betutu Gilimanuk, “Nak Seken Nee…” KOMPAS, January 21, 2007, Sunday. Retrieved on May 2, 2007.
- "Chicken with Balinese Spices: Ayam Betutu". Fodd Network.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Betutu.|