Betway Group (commonly known as Betway) is a global online gambling company, owned by Super Group, with a number of products including Betway Sportsbook, Betway Casino, Betway Vegas and Betway Esports.
Betway is a global online gambling company that operates across regulated online marketplaces. Launched in 2006 the brand holds licences in countries including UK, Malta, Italy, Denmark, Spain, Belgium, Germany, Sweden, Mexico, South Africa, Portugal and Ireland. Betway Group is based in Malta and Guernsey, with support from London, Cape Town and the Isle of Man, and is a member of the European Sports Security Association the Independent Betting Adjudication Service, the Remote Gambling Association and is accredited by international testing agency eCOGRA. Betway Group has a partnership with the Professional Players Federation, which promotes, protects and develops the collective interests of professional sportspeople in the UK. Betway is also a supporter of the Responsible Gambling Trust.Enter the Indian market in 2019 and build the Indian secondary brand ThisWin in 2020
Sponsorships and Partnerships
As of March 2021, Betway is the largest active sponsor in UK and Irish Horse Racing. The company have put their name and branding to nearly 4000 races since the first race meeting carrying Betway race names took place at Ffos Las racecourse in January 2015.
In 2014, Betway sponsored its first major UK horse race, the Queen Mother Champion Chase at the Cheltenham Festival, the first running of the race under the Betway name took place in March 2015, with the 2021 race marking the seventh year of sponsorship ending in success for the mare Put The Kettle On.
In 2017, Betway signed a three-year deal with Aintree Racecourse to become the official betting partner of the Grand National Festival. The deal, which also provides naming rights to a number of high-class support races - including the Betway Bowl - at the three-day meeting, was extended for a further five years in 2019.
Betway are the largest partner within the group of companies which sponsor the annual All-Weather Championships in Flat racing. They also sponsor meetings at Musselburgh, Haydock, Market Rasen, Bath and Wincanton.
Following a number of extensions, in September 2021 Betway overtook Avco Trust in becoming the longest running shirt sponsor of the club.
At the start of the 2021/22 La Liga season in Spain, Betway announced a global betting partnership (excluding Spain and Asia) with reigning champions Atletico Madrid. Adding to their portfolio of partner teams in the league which also includes RCD Espanyol, Deportivo Alaves and RC Celta Vigo.
In Portugal the brand has a partnership with Belenenses SAD.
In March 2021 Betway secured a partnership with the New York Islanders.
The Los Angeles Kings will also feature the brand via in-game and other digital assets.
At the end of the 2020/21 season Betway became official betting partner of the play-offs including the Stanley Cup, a deal that will commence as a full NHL season sponsorship at the start of the 2021/22 season.
Betway are active sponsors in Cricket, with deals to sponsor both Cricket West Indies and Cricket South Africa.
Betway returned to Tennis sponsorship in March 2021 with a deal to become Sports Betting Partner of the Miami Open. The company subsequently added additional ATP Tour partnerships during that year, including the Generali Open, Hamburg Open, Nordea Open, Mercedes Cup and Mutua Madrid Open.
Previous Horse Racing deals include the Lincoln Handicap, the Chester Cup, the Great Voltigeur Stakes and the Yorkshire Cup. Other British horse racing sponsorship deals made in 2017 included the Grade 2 Betway Kingmaker Novices’ Chase at Warwick.
The International Tennis Federation announced in late 2015 that Betway was to be the international sponsor of the Davis Cup and Fed Cup tennis competitions. Great Britain, led by Andy Murray, would go on to win the Davis Cup for the first time since 1936. Also in tennis, Betway became the sponsor of Tie Break Tens.
In European Basketball the company also sponsored the All-Stars tournament held at the o2 Arena in 2017.
In 2015, World Snooker confirmed Betway would become the sponsor of the prestigious triple-crown tournament the UK Championship in a three-year agreement. The agreement was extended for another three years in 2018. The 2020 tournament, won by Neil Robertson, was the sixth (and, for now, last) under the Betway name.
Betway have signed a number of ambassadors since 2014.
Their current ambassador roster includes ex-cricketer Kevin Pietersen, former jockey Katie Walsh and husband trainer, Ross O'Sullivan. The company also have an ambassador relationship with leading Flat trainer Andrew Balding.
Previous ambassadors include former cricketer and broadcaster Simon Hughes, better known as The Analyst, British National Hunt Racing champion jockey, Richard Johnson, NH trainer Harry Fry, 2015 Flat champion jockey Silvestre de Sousa and former Irish champion jockey Davy Russell.England rugby World Cup winner Mike Tindall, ex-Irish and Munster rugby player David Wallace, and Sky Sports golf presenter Sarah Stirk.
World Record Jackpot
In October 2014, Betway paid out €17,879,645 ($20,062,600, £13,209,300) to Jon Heywood (UK) for hitting the jackpot on Microgaming's Mega Moolah slot while playing at Betway. This was verified by Guinness World Records, at the time, as the largest ever jackpot payout in an online slot machine, subsequently surpassed in 2019.
Regulation and Compliance
Betway is a member of the European Sports Security Association the Independent Betting Adjudication Service, the Remote Gambling Association and is accredited by international testing agency eCOGRA.
Betway Group has a partnership with the Professional Players Federation, which promotes, protects and develops the collective interests of professional sportspeople in the UK. Betway is also a supporter of the Responsible Gambling Trust.
Betway have been at the forefront of recent online gambling industry reforms and were one of the first companies to ban customers from using credit cards to fund their betting accounts. Betway also disbanded their 'VIP' department in 2019 following headlines surrounding the use of these departments to encourage high-rolling customers to continue using gambling products.
In March 2020 Betway was fined a then record £11.6m for historical failings in customer protection and anti money laundering checks, allowing one customer to deposit over £8m and lose over £4m in a four-year period.
In June 2020 Betway announced that they would be the first betting company to ban player transfer and managerial job betting in football following high-profile cases that had linked the markets to manipulation and corruption across the industry.
Betway Casino offers casino games provided by developers such as Microgaming, NetEnt and Play'n GO. Super Group also owns Spin, a multi-brand online casino offering
The Betway brand is the current official sponsor of Big Brother Naija in Nigeria.
- "Contact - Betway". betwaygroup.com.
- "ESSA (Sports Betting Integrity)". www.eu-ssa.org.
- Ted Menmuir. "Betway gains ESSA membership". SBC News.
- "Betway confirms IBAS Registration". casinolifemagazine.com.
- "GambleAware - Gamble Aware". www.responsiblegamblingtrust.org.uk.
- "Members of the RGA". Archived from the original on July 1, 2015. Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- "eCommerce and Online Gaming Regulation and Assurance - eCOGRA - Home". ecogra.org.
- "PPF – Professional Players Federation". www.ppf.org.uk.
- Ted Menmuir. "Betway forms partnership Professional Players Federation (PPF)". SBC News.
- "GambleAware - Gamble Aware". www.responsiblegamblingtrust.org.uk.
- "Responsible Gambling Trust - Gambling Support - Gambling Problem". responsiblegamblingtrust.org.uk.
- "Betway new sponsor of Champion Chase". Racing Post. Archived from the original on 2015-04-02.
- Wright, Chris (2017-02-08). "Betway sign three-year deal to be official Grand National partner". liverpoolecho. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- Treanor, Jill (2015-01-16). "Swiss currency crisis claims casualties across the world". The Guardian. Retrieved 2016-07-18.
- "Betway build in Belgium with Anderlecht and Croky Cup deals". Inside World Football. 2016-09-21. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- "Betway sponsors Ninjas in Pyjamas (NiP) - CSGO Betting Sites". 2016-09-29. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "Betway Premier League Darts 2015 to boast record prize money". UK Sports Management.[permanent dead link]
- "Froch v Groves secures title sponsor". sportspromedia.com.
- "Betway to sponsor Froch-Groves clash". iGaming Business.[permanent dead link]
- "Betway branch out to Flat with backing of four big races - Horse Racing News - Racing Post". Racing Post. Archived from the original on 2015-04-02.
- "Betway to sponsor Kingmaker Chase and Kingwell Hurdle". SBC News. 2017-01-17. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- "Betway commits further to UK racing with 'sponsorship splash on the Flat!'". SBC News. 2017-01-25. Retrieved 2017-02-16.
- Fl, Piers Newbery BBC Sport at; Expo, ers; Ghent. "Andy Murray wins the Davis Cup for Great Britain". BBC Sport. Retrieved 2016-07-18.
- Ted Menmuir. "Betway pots UK Championship snooker title sponsorship". SBC News.
- Ted Menmuir. "Cricket expert Simon Hughes partners with Betway for this summer's Ashes". SBC News.
- Ted Menmuir. "Betway signs Richard Johnson as Brand Ambassador for 2015/16 National Hunt season". SBC News.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-04-19. Retrieved 2016-03-31.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Meath Chronicle - Davy Russell's guide for Christmas racing".
- "Betway teams up with Mike Tindall". www.sportindustry.biz.
- Richards, Huw (23 October 2015). "European Rugby Searches for Answers" – via www.nytimes.com.
- "Sky Sports' Sarah Stirk tees off with Betway". 3 April 2015.
- "Largest jackpots payout in an online slot machine game (nominal)". Guinness World Records.
- "Record £11.6m penalty for gambling firm Betway". March 12, 2020 – via www.bbc.co.uk.