Between Nothingness & Eternity
|Between Nothingness & Eternity|
|Live album by The Mahavishnu Orchestra|
|Recorded||August 18, 1973|
43:17 (2011 remix)
|The Mahavishnu Orchestra chronology|
|All About Jazz||(favorable)|
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
Between Nothingness & Eternity is the first live album of Mahavishnu Orchestra, and last with the original line-up, released in 1973. According to the Mahavishnu Orchestra Gigs listing by Walter Kolosky, it was recorded live at the Schaefer Music Festival, held in Central Park, New York on August 17 and 18, 1973, even though available recordings seem to prove that all of the material from the album was actually taken from the second night only. Originally, Mahavishnu Orchestra's third album was to be a studio one, recorded in June 1973 at Trident Studios in London, but was scrapped during the final days of the project. A live album containing versions of three out of the original six tracks came out instead. The original studio album was later released in 1999 as The Lost Trident Sessions.
Between Nothingness & Eternity was included in 2011 as part of The Complete Columbia Albums Collection boxset, along with the other albums by the first line-up of the band, including "The Lost Trident Sessions". This new version was a new different mix with an additional minute of music on "Sister Andrea". The boxset also contained an album called "Unreleased Tracks from Between Nothingness & Eternity" which contains other selections from the two Central Park shows.
|1.||"Trilogy: Sunlit Path/La Mere de la Mer/Tomorrow's Story Not the Same"||John McLaughlin||12:16|
|2.||"Sister Andrea"||Jan Hammer||8:45|
"The Complete Columbia Albums Collection" version
|1.||"Trilogy: Sunlit Path/La Mere de la Mer/Tomorrow's Story Not the Same"||12:03|
- John McLaughlin - guitar
- Jan Hammer - keyboards
- Jerry Goodman - violin
- Rick Laird - bass
- Billy Cobham - percussion
|Billboard Pop Albums||41|
- Eder, Bruce. Between Nothingness & Eternity at AllMusic
- Christgau, Robert. "Mahavishnu Orchestra > Consumer Guide Reviews". Robert Christgau. Retrieved 7 October 2014.
- Campbell, Hernan M. (12 October 2012). "Review: Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness & Eternity | Sputnikmusic". sputnikmusic.com. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- Kolosky, Walter (16 November 2002). "Mahavishnu Orchestra: Between Nothingness and Eternity". allaboutjazz.com. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Swenson, J. (Editor) (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 135. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- Kolosky, Walter. "...Welcome Readers of 'Power, Passion and Beauty' - The Special Edition eBook 2013... - Walter Kolosky". walterkolosky.com. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
Aug 17-18 Schaefer Music Festival – Central Park New York City, NY. The live album Between Nothingness & Eternity is recorded
- "...Bathed in Lighting - John McLaughlin - Archive Releases". Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- "Between Nothingness & Eternity - Mahavishnu Orchestra | Awards | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 1 January 2014.