Between Two Ferns: The Movie
|Between Two Ferns: The Movie|
Film release poster
|Directed by||Scott Aukerman|
|Produced by||Caitlin Daley|
|Screenplay by||Scott Aukerman|
|Story by||Zach Galifianakis|
|Music by||Alex Wurman|
|Edited by||Brendan Walsh|
Funny or Die
Between Two Ferns: The Movie is a 2019 American comedy film directed by Scott Aukerman and starring Zach Galifianakis, that acts as a spin-off of the web series of the same name. The film was released on September 20, 2019 on Netflix.
Zach Galifianakis "dreamed of becoming a star. But when Will Ferrell discovered his public access TV show Between Two Ferns and uploaded it to Funny Or Die, Zach became a viral laughing stock. Now Zach and his crew are taking a road trip to complete a series of high-profile celebrity interviews and restore his reputation."
- Zach Galifianakis as himself
- Lauren Lapkus as Carol Hunch
- Ryan Gaul as Cameron "Cam" Campbell
- Jiavani Linayao as "Boom Boom" De Laurentis
- Edi Patterson as Shirl Clarts
- Rekha Shankar as Gaya
- Mary Scheer as Frannie Scheindlin
- Mary Holland as Gerri Plop
- Matt Besser as Mike Burcho
- Phil Hendrie as Bill Yum
- Paul Rust as Eugene Tennyson
- A. D. Miles as Michael
- Blake Clark as Earl Canderton
- Paul F. Tompkins as Burnt Millipede
- Demi Adejuyigbe as DJ Fwap
- Mandell Maughan as Nic Jeffries
- Chance the Rapper
- John Cho
- Benedict Cumberbatch
- Peter Dinklage
- Will Ferrell
- Gal Gadot
- Tiffany Haddish
- Jon Hamm
- Rashida Jones
- Brie Larson
- John Legend
- David Letterman
- Matthew McConaughey
- Keanu Reeves
- Paul Rudd
- Jason Schwartzman
- Adam Scott
- Hailee Steinfeld
- Chrissy Teigen
- Tessa Thompson
- Bruce Willis
- Phoebe Bridgers
- Matt Berninger
- Walter Martin
On May 23, 2019, it was announced that a film version of Between Two Ferns with Zach Galifianakis would be made by Funny or Die for Netflix. The film was directed by Scott Aukerman, the co-creator of the original series, and produced by Aukerman, Galifianakis, Caitlin Daley and Mike Farah for Funny Or Die. On June 17, 2019, it was reported that Ryan Gaul, Lauren Lapkus, and Jiavani Linayao were part of the cast alongside Galifianakis.
On September 3, 2019, the first trailer for the movie was released.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 78% based on 45 reviews, with a weighted average of 6.71/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "Between Two Ferns: The Movie shows the strain of stretching a series of web shorts to feature length, but should still satisfy fans of the source material." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 59 out of 100, based on 13 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
Nick Allen of RogerEbert.com gave the film 3 1/2 out of 4 stars, saying that "takes what's made the series so extremely funny and lovingly expands it into a feature film, in a way that would make all those ‘90s Saturday Night Live movies envious." Writing for The A.V. Club, William Hughes gave the film a B, praising its humor but with the slightly muted criticism that "some of the original, exciting venom of the show’s appeal ends up a bit diluted along the way".
- Haring, Bruce (May 24, 2019). "'Between Two Ferns: The Movie' With Zach Galifianakis Confirmed, Sets Release Date". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 24, 2019.
- Lincoln, Ross A. (May 23, 2019). "Zach Galifianakis to Bring 'Between Two Ferns: The Movie' to Netflix in September". TheWrap. Retrieved May 24, 2019.
- Ramos, Dino-Ray (2019-06-17). "Netflix Plants Ryan Gaul, Lauren Lapkus, And Jiavani Linayao For 'Between Two Ferns'". Deadline. Retrieved 2019-06-17.
- Comedy Bang! Bang! episode 619, The Stars of Between Two Ferns: The Movie
- Kim, Michelle (September 3, 2019). "Watch the New Trailer for Zach Galifianakis' Between Two Ferns: The Movie". Pitchfork. Retrieved September 21, 2019.
- "Between Two Ferns: The Movie (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved September 26, 2019.
- "Between Two Ferns: The Movie Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved September 26, 2019.
- Allen, Nick. "Between Two Ferns: The Movie movie review (2019) | Roger Ebert". www.rogerebert.com. Retrieved 2019-09-21.
- Hughes, William (September 20, 2019). "The Between Two Ferns Movie Is Funny, But a Little Defanged". The A.V. Club. Retrieved September 20, 2019.