Between a Rock and a Hard Place (Australian Crawl album)
|Between a Rock and a Hard Place|
|Studio album by Australian Crawl|
|Australian Crawl chronology|
|Singles from Between a Rock and a Hard Place|
Between a Rock and a Hard Place was the final studio album from Australian rock band Australian Crawl. It was produced by English producer Adam Kidron (Ian Dury, Cabaret Voltaire, Aztec Camera). The album was initially released by Freestyle Records on vinyl and reached #11 on the ARIA album charts but slipped out of the top 40 two weeks later. The album was subsequently re-released on CD in 1997.
When the album virtually failed to chart, the band was ready to split but had to go out on tour for the next year to pay off the enormous $400,000 cost of producing the album. After completing their national tour of Australia in January, 1986, the band split up. Australian Crawl released a successful live album, The Final Wave, on the Freestyle Record label, towards the end of October, 1986.
There were four singles lifted from the album, "Two Can Play"/"Two Can Play" (released June, 1985), "If This Is Love"/"You Told Me" (released September, 1985), "Trouble Spot Rock"/"Newly Weds In The Morning" (released November, 1985) and "Two Hearts"/"Across the Way" (released January, 1986).
All the singles failed to have significant chart success with "Two Can Play" reaching #44 and only remaining in the charts for nine weeks, "If This Is Love" peaking at #87 and remaining for three weeks, whilst "Trouble Spot Rock" reached #69 and stayed in the charts for four weeks.
All songs were written by James Reyne, except where otherwise noted.
- "Two Can Play" (Simon Hussey, James Reyne) - 3:48
- "I'd Do It" - 3:33
- "Divers Down" - 3:07
- "If This Is Love" - 3:26
- "Two Hearts" (Simon Hussey, James Reyne) - 3:55
- "Trouble Spot Rock" - 4:46
- "You Told Me" (Simon Hussey, James Reyne) - 3:06
- "My Day At The Beach" - 3:51
- "Always The Way" (Simon Hussey, James Reyne) - 5:37
- "Newly Weds In The Morning" - 3:07
- "Land Of Hope And Glory" - 5:08
- James Reyne - guitar (acoustic), guitar (electric), guitar (rhythm), harp, marimba, saxophone, vocals
- Brad Robinson - synthesizer, clarinet, keyboards
- Simon Hussey - keyboards, guitar
- John Watson - drums, marimba, timbales
- Harry Brus - bass
- Mark Greig - guitar
- John Barrett - saxophone
- John Courtney - trombone
- Rahmlee Michael Davis - trumpet
- Ric Formosa - guitar, brass arrangement
- Cheryl Freeman - background vocals
- Michael Harris - trumpet
- Bill Harrower - saxophone
- Chelli Jackson - background vocals
- Keith Johnson - saxophone
- Don Lock - trombone
- Peter Martin - saxophone
- Don Myrick - saxophone (alto)
- Mick O'Connor - organ (Hammond)
- Phenix Horns - brass
- Eddie Rayner - keyboards
- Pete Salt - trumpet
- Lui Lui Satterfield - trombone
- Bob Venier - trumpet
- Zan - background vocals
- Allan Zavod - piano
- Holmgren, Magnus; Warnqvist, Stefan; Draper, Oliver; McDonough, Bill. "Australian Crawl". Australian Rock Database. Passagen.se (Magnus Holmgren). Archived from the original on 22 October 2013. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- Australian Chart Book 1970-1992 David Kent (ISBN 0-646-11917-6)
- McFarlane, Ian (1999). Encyclopedia of Australian Rock and Pop. Allen & Unwin. ISBN 1-86448-768-2. Archived from the original (doc) on 2008-05-29. Retrieved 2008-03-26.
- "Australasian Performing Right Association". APRA. Archived from the original on 2008-05-05. Retrieved 2008-03-26.