Between the Lines (2008 film)
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (May 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Between the Lines: The True Story of Surfers and the Vietnam War|
|Directed by||Scott Bass|
|Produced by||Ty Ponder|
|Written by||Scott Bass|
|Music by||Terry Palmer|
|Edited by||Troy Page|
Pat Farley, a heavy combat vet, volunteered for service in Vietnam and was discharged with a full psychiatric pension. Conversely, Brant Page evaded the draft and fled to the Hawaiian Islands where he was pursued and eventually arrested by the FBI. While following the lives of these two surfers the film chronicles the impact of the Vietnam War on the surfing lifestyle.
The film utilizes archival footage, still images, home movies and interviews. This documentary film includes archival images and film including The China Beach Surf Club, Surfing in Vietnam, combat footage and surfers around the world during the Vietnam War era.
Between the lines documents and explores some of the concepts depicted in the fictional films Apocalypse Now and Big Wednesday. All of the men interviewed are surfers who either entered the military and went to Vietnam or evaded the draft.
The surfers interviewed include the primary characters; combat veteran Pat Farley and draft evader Brant Page, as well as Jerry Anderson, [the voice of] Jim Cowell (KIA 05-31-68), Howard Fisher, Herbie Fletcher, Drew Kampion, Tom Luker, Mark Martinson, Greg Murray,Greg Samp, Ron Sizemore, and Rick Thomas. Some of the music was written by Hot Water Music co-lead man, Chuck Ragan. The film is narrated by John Milius.
- "BETWEEN THE LINES: Two Surfers Unflinchingly Tell Their Vietnam Stories - SURFER Magazine". 22 July 2010. Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- "HEC-TV: Between the Line: The True Story of Surfers and the Vietnam War". Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- "Movie Review: Between the Lines (2008): G.I. Surfers in the Vietnam War". Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- Laderman, Scott (3 March 2014). "Empire in Waves: A Political History of Surfing". Univ of California Press. Retrieved 5 December 2016 – via Google Books.
- Borress, Joe. "From Surfer to Soldier: Pat Farley, a True American Hero". Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- "Revisiting "Big Wednesday," a Movie About Vietnam, Surfing, and Gary Busey - VICE Sports". Retrieved 5 December 2016.
|This article about a war documentary film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|