Between the Lines (Stone Temple Pilots song)
|"Between the Lines"|
|Single by Stone Temple Pilots|
|from the album Stone Temple Pilots|
|Released||March 22, 2010|
|Songwriter(s)||Robert DeLeo (music),|
Scott Weiland (lyrics)
|Producer(s)||Robert DeLeo, Dean DeLeo|
|Stone Temple Pilots singles chronology|
"Between the Lines" is the first single from the American rock band Stone Temple Pilots's sixth studio album, Stone Temple Pilots. The single was released on March 22, 2010. The song set the record for largest positional gain on Billboard's Rock Songs chart, jumping from number 40 to 2, later reaching number 1. "Between the Lines" was nominated for Best Hard Rock Performance at the 53rd Grammy Awards, an award the band previously won for "Plush" in 1994.
A reviewer from the Kuwait publication Arab Times stated that the song "might not have the surefire hit potential of STP’s older singles", but applauded the band's return with the song, and called the song an excellent gift. Lehigh Valley Live staff writer Marcia loved the song musically, but stated that "the lyrics seem like an afterthought", additionally criticizing the resemblance to Bob Dylan's material. Second Dustin called the music strong and the riffs catchy, comparing the song to the material on earlier albums Tiny Music... Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop and Shangri-La Dee Da. USA Today stated that STP had "roared back to life with a shiny, infectious grunge-pop hit driven by a clever lyrical twist, stinging guitar solo, and charging beat."
Drummer Eric Kretz stated in an interview with theaudioperv.com that the band would begin filming the music video for "Between the Lines" in early April 2010. On Friday, May 7, 2010 the band announced that the world premiere for the video would air that day during the broadcast FUSE TV's Top 20 Video Countdown.
MTV News stated that the video, which was directed by Christopher Sims, "feels like classic STP" and that "much like the song, it's a sweaty, claustrophobic affair, documenting frontman Scott Weiland's past history of drug use." Weiland said about the video's concept, "It's sort of like an off point of view, similar to The Prodigy's "Smack My Bitch Up." It was one of the coolest videos that came out in the last 15 years."
|Worldwide||March 22, 2010||Promotional release (digital only)|
The song is also featured on the game Rocksmith.
"Between the Lines" is the band's first #1 single on the Billboard Alternative Songs chart (they have had a total of three #2 singles on this chart in previous years), as well as the band's first song to ever chart on the Rock Songs chart where it peaked at #1 for seven straight weeks. The song has also peaked at #50 on the Canadian Hot 100.
|Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles||3|
|Billboard Hot 100 Airplay||83|
|Billboard Alternative Songs||1|
|Billboard Mainstream Rock||2|
|Billboard Rock Songs||1|
|Billboard Canadian Hot 100||50|
|Billboard Canada Rock||1|
- List of number-one Billboard Rock Songs
- List of Billboard number-one alternative singles of the 2010s
- "Stone Temple Pilots: New Single To Debut On Monday". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner Records. March 18, 2010. Archived from the original on June 8, 2011. Retrieved March 19, 2010.
- "Chart Beat Wednesday: Crash Kings, Carrie Underwood, STP - Chart Beat". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- Gundersen, Edna (2010-04-21). "It's all right 'Between the Lines' for Stone Temple Pilots". Usatoday.Com. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- "STP's 'Lines' excellent gift". Arab Times. Retrieved April 7, 2010.
- Schoof, Dustin; et al. (March 30, 2010). "Reading between Stone Temple Pilots' 'Lines'". Lehigh Valley Live. Retrieved April 7, 2010.
- Gundersen, Edna (2010-04-19). "Playlist: Stone Temple Pilots, Big Boi, Otis Redding and more". Usatoday.Com. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- "TAP SXSW Exclusive Interview: Stone Temple Pilots's Eric Kretz". The Audio Perv. 2010-03-22. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- "Stone ★ Temple ★ Pilots > News". Stonetemplepilots.com. 2010-03-30. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- "christophersims director | video". Simsdirector.com. Archived from the original on 2010-08-01. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- Montgomery, James (2010-05-13). "Stone Temple Pilots Roar Back With 'Between the Lines' Video - News Story | Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV News". Mtv.com. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- 26May10. "Guitar Hero 5/Band Hero DLC: Stone Temple Pilots, Alice Cooper, National Anthems « El Mundo Tech". Elmundotech.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- Stone Temple Pilots' Singles Chart History. Billboard.com. Retrieved 2011-12-28.
-  Archived May 17, 2010, at the Wayback Machine
- "( Stone Temple Pilots > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles )". allmusic. Retrieved 2010-07-26.