Bev Facey Community High School
|Bev Facey Community High School|
|99 Colwill Boulevard
Sherwood Park, Alberta, T8A-4V5
|School type||Community Senior High School|
|Motto||"In Pursuit of Excellence"
Commitment, Respect, Loyalty, Enthusiasm, Dedication
|School board||Elk Island Public Schools|
|Vice principal||Karen Ramsey, Terry Pysyk, Amit Mali|
|Grades||10, 11, 12|
|Colour(s)||Blue and Gold|
|Team name||Bev Facey Falcons|
Bev Facey Community High School is a public high school for grades 10–12 in Sherwood Park, Alberta, which falls under the jurisdiction of the Elk Island Public Schools Regional Division No. 14.
Bev Facey Community High School was officially opened in the fall of 1981, with Jim Sawchuck as Facey's first principal. Due to Sawchuck's Winnipeg Blue Bomber's influence, the school colours are blue and gold.
The Bev Facey Falcons mascot, Chuck the Falcon, appears as a blue falcon, wearing a gold/yellow basketball jersey.
Bev Facey backs onto the Strathcona Athletic Park (SAP) where many athletic team practises are held, as well as physical education classes.
Bev Facey, which opened its doors for students in 1981, has multiple labs, class specific classrooms, and special services, dedicated for academic enhancement and achievement. Bev Facey has the following:
- 3 Computer Labs and five mobile laptop carts equipped for 1 classroom each
- 2 Full-Size Gymnasiums (one smaller than the other due to bleachers. Larger gymnasium used in competition), and a weight room, available at noon hours.
- 2 Change rooms are also available, equipped with lockers, shower facilities, and a washroom.
- A language laboratory is reserved for those enrolled in a French or German language course. Each booth contains a headset and a cassette recorder which connects each student through to the instructor. The language lab has the capability of linking up connections between students for further practice in oral communication. The instructor has the ability to intercept these communications and to give further instructions.
- A greenhouse for Horticulture electives.
- A Fine Arts Theatre, and well equipped music room.
- School Cafe serving coffee and snacks
- A cafeteria, serving various lunch dishes, prices ranging from $2.50-$4.50, as well as snacks and desserts. Often open before school, during breaks in between classes, and after school. No meals will be served other than at lunch hours but cookies, and cinnamon buns are almost always available.
- A Library on the second floor equipped with a computers to serve one class (often with a few to spare), a large array of books, and reference materials, as well as a magazine and a Manga/Graphic Novel section.
- An elevator to the second floor reserved for those who have special need of it (i.e. due to disability or impairment)
- 8 main stairways, usually within approximately 4-5 regular classroom's length of each other.
- A student services department that is able to take care of most student needs and help with issues. Some services offered are career planning (working with a counselor to determine every step needed to take for success in high school and post secondary), managing test anxiety, tutor availability, and applications for school awards and tutoring.
Bev Facey offers both the standard Alberta Education curriculum, and the Advanced Placement curriculum.
Additional courses Facey offers are:
- Building Construction
- Commercial Foods
- Fabrication Studies
- Sports Performance
- Health and Wellness
- Computer Science
- Computer Networking
- Communication Technology
Facey has many student ran clubs including:
- Youth Technology Committee
- Graduation Committee
- Model United Nations (MUN)
- Facey Leadership Initiative (Club run as a class)
- SADD (Students Against Drunk Driving)
Bev Facey, also known athletically as "The Falcons" hold a strong representation in the ASAA (Alberta Schools Athletics Association) Edmonton Metro League. With two gymnasiums, a weight room, and a sports performance academic option, it is obvious why the Falcons hold a strong representation at the ASAA.
In recent previous years, the Falcons are known for their impressive badminton, football, volleyball, curling, and team handball teams, with all teams competing at a high competitive level at provincials.
Facey has teams in these sports:
- Team Handball
- Cross Country Running
- Track and Field
Former principal Eleanor Commodore is the mother of formerNHL player Mike Commodore.
Twitter accounts associated with Bev Facey include