Beverley Jane Hunt FRCP FRCPath is professor of thrombosis and haemostasis at King's College, London, consultant in the departments of haematology, rheumatology and pathology and director of the Haemostasis Research Unit at Guy's and St Thomas' Foundation Trust, medical director of Lifeblood, the Thrombosis Charity and previous president of Walthamstow Hall Old Girls Association. She was educated at Walthamstow Hall and University of Liverpool.
Specialist interest and research
Hunt is author and co-author of many peer-reviewed research articles. She has a specialist clinical and research interest in venous thromboembolism, thromboprophylaxis, antiphospholipid syndrome, lupus erythematosus, and obstetric haematology
She is the founder and co-lead of the British Society for Haematology Obstetric Haematology Group from 2004, a founder member of the society's Education Committee from 2009, and a member of the British Society for Haemostasis and Thrombosis, the International Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis and is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians.
Contribution to national guidelines
She was the co-author of several reports and guidelines: the British Society of Haematology’s "Guidelines for TTP" in 2001 and 2002, and an advisor on the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists: "Advice on preventing deep vein thrombosis for pregnant women travelling by air" produced in October 2001 and an advisor on the Royal College of Obstetricians guideline on: "Thromboprophylaxis in pregnancy" in 2004 and 2009.
She is a member of "The Independent Expert Panel on Venous Thromboembolism" 2005/6, and co-author on the "International Consensus report on the investigation and management of primary immune thrombocytopenia", the "Clinical guidelines for testing for heritable thrombophilia" co-author on the "Guideline for investigation and management of adults and children presenting with a thrombocytosis"  the "Management of bleeding following major trauma: an updated European guideline".
She was a member of the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) guidelines development group for: "reducing the risk of venous thromboembolism (deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism) in patients admitted to hospital" published in 2010 and also the "Acute management of venous thromboembolism" published in 2012. On behalf of Lifeblood, the Thrombosis Charity, she was also a member of the committee producing the NICE Quality standards on VTE prevention.
Hunt is co-founder and Medical Director of Lifeblood, the Thrombosis Charity which campaigns to raise awareness of thrombosis—in particular the risk of hospital-acquired deep vein thrombosis by mandating risk assessment.
She was winner in the Diagnostic/Laboratory category winner at the NHS London Innovation awards 2009 for “Detection of antiphospholipid antibodies based in heparin resistance.”, and won the 2011 Research paper of the year at the Briths Medical Journal Group for a paper titled "Effects of tranexamic acid on death, vascular occlusive events, and blood transfusion in trauma patients with significant haemorrhage (CRASH-2): a randomised, placebo-controlled trial" which was published in the Lancet (2010;376:23-32).
- "Comment" (PDF). King's College London. February 2009. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- "The Louise Coote Lupus Unit team". Guysandstthomas.nhs.uk. Retrieved 2012-07-18.
- "Blood Sciences contact details". GSTS. Archived from the original on 2013-02-10. Retrieved 2012-07-18.
- "Professor Hunt wins 'Medical Oscar'". Walthamstow-hall.co.uk. 2011-05-26. Retrieved 2012-07-18.
- "Alumnae Profiles". Walthamstow-hall.co.uk. 2011-05-29. Archived from the original on 2011-04-24. Retrieved 2012-07-18.
- "Obstetric haematology information for patients". Guysandstthomas.nhs.uk. Retrieved 2012-07-18.
- "The Obstetric Hematology Manual - Academic and Professional Books - Cambridge University Press". Cambridge.org. Retrieved 2012-07-18.
- An Introduction to Vascular Biology: From Basic Science to Clinical Practice - Beverley J. Hunt, Lucilla Poston - Google Books. Books.google.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-07-18.
- "British Society for Haematology ABOUT US". B-s-h.org.uk. Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- "British Society for Haemostasis and Thrombosis Homepage". BSHT. 16 December 2013. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20120605041102/http://www.isth.org/default/index.cfm. Archived from the original on June 5, 2012. Retrieved May 30, 2012. Missing or empty
- http://www.rcog.org.uk/womens-health/clinical.../air-travel-and-pregnancy. Retrieved May 30, 2012. Missing or empty
- "Wiley: Journals, books, and online products and services" (PDF). Blackwellpublishing.com. Retrieved 2014-01-16.[permanent dead link]
- "International consensus report on the investigation and management of primary immune thrombocytopenia". Bloodjournal.hematologylibrary.org. Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- "Clinical guidelines for testing for heritable thrombophilia" (PDF). 2010. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- "Guideline for investigation and management of adults and children presenting with a thrombocytosis" (PDF). BCSH. 2010. Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- Rossaint R, Bouillon B, Cerny V, Coats TJ, Duranteau J, Fernández-Mondéjar E, Hunt BJ, Komadina R, Nardi G, Neugebauer E, Ozier Y, Riddez L, Schultz A, Stahel PF, Vincent JL, Spahn DR (2013-08-12). "Management of bleeding following major trauma: an updated European guideline". Crit Care. 14: R52. doi:10.1186/cc8943. PMC 2887168. PMID 20370902.
- "Venous thromboembolism - reducing the risk". Guidance.nice.org.uk. 2013-11-07. Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- "VTE prevention". Guidance.nice.org.uk. 2013-04-15. Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- "Lifeblood - Our History". Thrombosis-charity.org.uk. Archived from the original on 2008-06-18. Retrieved 2012-07-18.
- "King's doctor wins health innovator award - King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust". Kch.nhs.uk. 2010-01-27. Retrieved 2012-07-18.
- "Meet the winners! — BMJ Group Awards". Groupawards.bmj.com. Retrieved 2012-07-18.[permanent dead link]
- "CRASH-2 - Clinical Randomisation of an Antifibrinolytic in Significant Haemorrhage". Crash2.lshtm.ac.uk. Retrieved 2012-07-18.
- "News detail - King's Health Partners". Kingshealthpartners.org. 2011-05-20. Retrieved 2014-01-16.