Beverley Racecourse logo
|Location||Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire|
|Owned by||Beverley Race Company Ltd.|
|Screened on||Racing UK|
An annual meeting at Beverley was first established in 1767. Before that races had only occasionally been run there. Then, for a short period between 1798 and 1805 racing once again stopped. Later in the 19th century a three-day meeting was taking place annually in the week after York's May meeting. In 2012, Beverley hosted racing on 19 days. Its most prestigious races being two Listed races - the Hilary Needler Trophy for two-year-olds in May and Beverley Bullet Sprint over 5 furlongs in August for three-year-olds and up.
The racecourse is a right-handed flat course, that is just over 1 mile 3 furlongs. It is predominantly flat but with a stiff, uphill finish and tight turns. Beverley has the most pronounced "draw bias" on a UK racecourse on its 5 furlong course. The sharp right hand bend and the fact that the ground runs away to the left make a low draw (i.e. on the inside rail) much more advantageous than a high draw (i.e. on the wide outside and on ground sloping right to left).
It has been described as an "unpretentious but agreeable" racecourse.
|May||Saturday||Hilary Needler Trophy||Flat||Listed||5f||2yo f|
|August||Saturday||Beverley Bullet Sprint Stakes||Flat||Listed||5f||3yo +|
- Other race
- Brian Yeardley Trophy
- Poulson 1829, p. 448.
- Poulson 1829, p. 449.
- Oliver 1829, p. 430.
- "2012 Fixture List" (PDF). British Horseracing Authority. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- "British Flat Pattern and Listed Races 2010" (PDF). British Horseracing Authority. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- Halpenny 1971, p. 79.
- Wright 1986, p. 27.
- "Beverley Racecourse". Oddschecker.com. Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- "Our History". Beverley Racecourse. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- Mortimer, Onslow & Willett 1978, p. 58.
- Halpenny, Marion Rose (1971). British Racing and Racecourses. Holmes & Sons. ISBN 9780950139722.
- Mortimer, Roger; Onslow, Richard; Willett, Peter (1978). Biographical Encyclopaedia of British Racing. London: Macdonald and Jane's. ISBN 0-354-08536-0.
- Oliver, George (1829). The History and Antiquities of the Town and Minster of Beverley in the County of York, from the Most Early Period. Beverley: M Turner. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- Poulson, George (1829). Beverlac: or, The antiquities and history of the town of Beverley, in the county of York, and of the provostry and collegiate establishment of St. John's; with a minute description of the present minster and the church of St. Mary, and other ancient and modern edifices. Beverley: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- Wright, Howard (1986). The Encyclopaedia of Flat Racing. London: Robert Hale. ISBN 0-7090-2639-0.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Beverley Racecourse.|