Dame Beverley Wakem
|7th New Zealand Chief Ombudsman|
23 April 2008 – 9 December 2015
|Preceded by||John Belgrave|
|Succeeded by||Peter Boshier|
|Born||27 January 1944|
Wellington, New Zealand
|Alma mater||BA (1968)|
Victoria University of Wellington, MA (1973)
University of Kentucky
Wakem's background is in broadcasting, public relations, and consulting for both the public and private sectors. She was chief executive of Radio New Zealand from 1984 until 1991. In 1991, she was appointed commercial director for Wrightson Limited, soon becoming the company’s general manager of human resources and corporate affairs. From 1996 to 1997, Wakem was executive chairman of Hill & Knowlton New Zealand, and in September 1997 was appointed to the Higher Salaries Commission. She was appointed to the role of Ombudsman on 1 March 2005 and reappointed for another five-year term on 1 March 2010.
- Dame Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit in the 2012 Queen's Birthday Honours for services to the State.
- Commander of the Order of the British Empire in the 1990 Queen's Birthday Honours for services to broadcasting and to the community.
- New Zealand 1990 Commemoration Medal
- Alister Taylor (2001). New Zealand Who's Who Aotearoa 2001 Edition. Alister Taylor Publishers. p. 909. ISSN 1172-9813.
- "Appointments — Chief Ombudsman". House Of Representatives. 17 April 2008. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- "Inquiry into the appointment of an Ombudsman" (PDF). House of Representatives. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- "Who is the Ombudsman?". Office of the Ombudsman. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- Kris Dando (10 October 2016). "Porirua City Council welcomes five new faces and welcomes back a former councillor". Dominion Post. Retrieved 8 January 2018.
- The Queen's Birthday and Diamond Jubilee Honours 2012 (29 June 2012) 74 New Zealand Gazette 2091. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- London Gazette (supplement), No. 52174, 16 June 1990. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
| New Zealand Chief Ombudsman