Beverly B. Martin
|Beverly Baldwin Martin|
|Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit|
Assumed office |
January 28, 2010
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||R. Lanier Anderson III|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia|
August 3, 2000 – February 1, 2010
|Appointed by||Bill Clinton|
|Preceded by||George Ernest Tidwell|
|Succeeded by||Leigh Martin May|
August 7, 1955|
Stetson University (B.A.)
University of Georgia School of Law (J.D.)
Beverly Baldwin Martin (born August 7, 1955) is a United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit and a former United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
Early life and education
Born in Macon, Georgia, Martin attended Mercer University for one year from 1972 to 1973, but received no degree. She received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Stetson University in 1976 and a Juris Doctor from University of Georgia School of Law in 1981.
Martin was in private practice with the firm of Martin Snow, LLP in Georgia from 1981 to 1984, and was also an assistant attorney general in the State Law Department of the Office of Attorney General of Georgia from 1984 to 1994. She was an Assistant United States Attorney for the Middle District of Georgia from 1994 to 1997, and United States Attorney for the Middle District of Georgia from 1997 to 2000.
Federal judicial career
Northern District of Georgia
On the recommendation of Senator Max Cleland, Martin was nominated on March 27, 2000 by President Bill Clinton to a seat on the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia vacated by George Ernest Tidwell. She was confirmed by the United States Senate on June 16, 2000, and received her commission on August 3, 2000. Her service terminated on February 1, 2010, due to elevation to the Eleventh Circuit.
United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
On June 19, 2009, President Barack Obama nominated Martin to a seat on the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. The United States Senate confirmed Martin's nomination in a 97-0 vote on January 20, 2010. She received her commission on January 28, 2010.
- "Martin, Beverly Baldwin - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "United States Senate Committee for the Judiciary Questionnaire for Judicial Nominees" (PDF). United States Senate. Retrieved August 31, 2010.
- President Obama Nominates Judge Joseph A. Greenaway, Jr. for the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, and Judge Beverly B. Martin for United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit Archived 2010-03-05 at the Wayback Machine..
- Beverly B. Martin at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Beverly Martin at Ballotpedia
George Ernest Tidwell
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
Leigh Martin May
R. Lanier Anderson III
| Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit