This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Beverly Whipple is Professor Emerita at Rutgers University and a professional author and sexologist. She is a co-author of the publication The G Spot and Other Recent Discoveries About Human Sexuality.
Following a career in nursing, much of her academic work has been concerned with the enhancement of female sexual function. In 1981, she was co-author of Addiego et al.'s "Female ejaculation: a case study." The paper was presented in The Journal of Sex Research and includes the first published instance of the term "G-Spot".
Following the book, Whipple continued to publicize her work, including a 9 min video made in 1981 Orgasmic Expulsions of Fluid in the Sexually Stimulated Female. In 1984, the Journal of Sex Research described the debate surrounding female ejaculation as 'heated'.
Her techniques include using fMRI scans to gather evidence on what is happening in the brain. Her animal experiments contributed to the isolation of the vasoactive intestinal peptide and the discovery that orgasms can be rerouted to the brain via the vagus nerve without using the spinal cord, thus enabling females with spinal cord injury to achieve orgasm by psychological stimulation alone.
The following is a list of books that have been written or co-written by Whipple.
- The G Spot: And Other Recent Discoveries About Human Sexuality (1982) with Alice Khan Ladas and John D. Perry
- Safe Encounters: How Women Can Say Yes to Pleasure and No to Unsafe Sex (1989) with Gina Ogden
- Smart Women, Strong Bones (2000) with Ronda Gates
- Outwitting Osteoporosis: The Smart Woman's Guide To Bone Health (2003) with Ronda Gates
- The G Spot: And Other Discoveries About Human Sexuality (2005) with Alice Khan Ladas and John D. Perry
- The Science of Orgasm (2006) with Barry R. Komisaruk and Carlos Beyer-Flores
- Women's Sexualities: Generations of Women Share Intimate Secrets of Sexual Self-Acceptance (2006) with Carol Rinkleib Ellison
- The Orgasm Answer Guide (2009) with Barry R. Komisaruk, Sara Nasserzadeh and Carlos Beyer-Flores
- Addiego, F; Belzer, EG; Comolli, J; Moger, W; Perry, JD; Whipple, B. (1981). "Female ejaculation: a case study". Journal of Sex Research. 17 (1): 13–21. doi:10.1080/00224498109551094.
- Whipple, Beverly (consultant), Schoen, Mark (filmmaker). "Orgasmic expulsions of fluid in the sexually stimulated female." Film available from Focus International, Inc., 1776 Broadway, New York, N.Y.10019.
- Heath D (1984). "An investigation into the origins of a copious vaginal discharge during intercourse: "Enough to wet the bed" – that "is not urine"". J. Sex Res. 20 (2): 194–215. doi:10.1080/00224498409551217.
- Godson, Suzi. Sex on the brain The Times 15 May 2004
- The Independent Thrill cuts out the middle man 8 April 1997
- Quentin Letts Thrill pill threatens role of men The Times 8 April 1997
- Komisaruk, B. & Whipple, B. (2005). "Functional MRI of the brain during orgasm in women". Annual Review of Sex Research. 16: 62–86. Retrieved January 3, 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Whipple, Beverly. "PUBLICATIONS CONCERNING SEXUALITY" (DOC). Retrieved 6 January 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)