Beverly Wilshire Hotel
Beverly Wilshire Hotel
The Beverly Wilshire Hotel in 2007
|Location||Beverly Hills, California, USA|
|Architect||Walker & Eisen|
|NRHP Reference #||87000908|
|Added to NRHP||June 12, 1987|
The Beverly Wilshire Hotel is a historic luxury hotel in Beverly Hills, California. Located at the intersection of Wilshire Boulevard and Rodeo Drive, it was completed in 1928. It has been used as a shooting location for films and television series. Guests have included US presidents and celebrities.
The hotel was constructed by real estate developer Walter G. McCarty on the site of the former Beverly Hills Speedway. It was completed in 1928 (when the city had fewer than 18,000 residents), and was then known as the "Beverly Wilshire Apartment Hotel". The E-shaped structure is built of a Tuscan stone and Carrara marble in the Italian Renaissance architecture style.
Renamed the Beverly Wilshire Hotel by new owners, it was renovated with a ballroom in the 1940s to accommodate the popular big bands of the day. An Olympic-sized swimming pool was built and championship tennis courts were added, with tennis champion Pancho Gonzalez as tennis director.
Famous guests have included, among many others, U.S. President Barack Obama, the Emperor of Japan Hirohito, the Dalai Lama and Sadruddin Aga Khan, as well as the musicians Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler, Elton John, and actors Michael Caine, Michael Douglas, Farrah Fawcett, Bette Midler, Dustin Hoffman, Anjelica Huston, Robert Pattinson, Walter Matthau and Al Pacino,
The Beverly Wilshire was a common filming location for HBO's Entourage television series, with cast and crew filming there at least three times per season when it was produced from 2004 until 2011.
- "National Register of Historical Places - California (CA), Los Angeles County". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2007-02-14.
- "THE BEVERLY-WILSHIRE HOTEL". Travel Guide (lcsbg.com). 2011-02-09.
- "Famous for Two Elegant Beverly Hills Hostelries : Innkeeper Hernando Courtright Dies". LA Times (latimes.com). 1986-02-25. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- "Seeing Stars:The Hotels of the Stars The Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel". Seeing-stars.com. Retrieved 2011-11-30.
- "Obama and rain in L.A. make for potential traffic nightmare". Los Angeles Times. 2011-11-25.
- Gorkow, Alexander. "Im Interview: Eric Clapton und J. J. Cale – "Ich bin dran. Also, die Antwort ist: Nein." – Kultur". Süddeutsche Zeitung (in German). Sueddeutsche.de. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- "Los Angeles: Top 10 'Entourage' Hotspots". BlackBook Magazine. 2009-07-28.