Houses on the south side of Bevington Road, at the west (Woodstock Road) end
|Former name(s)||Horse and Jockey Road|
|Length||0.1 mi (0.2 km)|
|Postal code||OX2 6LH|
|west end||A4144 road|
|east end||A4165 road|
The road runs between Woodstock Road (opposite Observatory Street) to the west and Banbury Road to the east. Winchester Road leads north from halfway along Bevington Road. The road was previously known as Horse and Jockey Road. A public house opposite the eastern end of the road on Woodstock Road on the corner with St Bernard's Road, called the Horse and Jockey, was a reminder of this name. In the 1850s there was a plan to run a railway line just to the north of the road, but this never materialised.
The houses are in the traditional North Oxford brick-built Victorian Gothic style, dating from 1865 to 1875. Plots on the south side of the road were sold in August 1865 by St John's College, which own much of the land in the area. Architects of the houses include Frederick Codd and William Wilkinson.
To the south is St Anne's College, one of the former women's colleges of the University of Oxford, fronting onto Woodstock Road and backing onto Banbury Road. All of the properties fronting onto the south side of Bevington Road are property of St Anne's College, and most are used for undergraduate accommodation.
To the north is St Antony's College, a graduate college of the University, between Woodstock Road and Winchester Road.
The road is one-way to traffic from Banbury Road to Woodstock Road.
The chapel of St Antony's College on the north side of Bevington Road
Wycliffe Hall viewed from east end of Bevington Road
The rear of the houses on the south side of Bevington Road in St Anne's College
- "Driving directions to Bevington Rd". Google. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- Hinchcliffe, Tanis (1992). North Oxford. New Haven & London: Yale University Press. pp. 26, 30, 44, 49, 55, 73, 86, 95, 106, 191, 219–220. ISBN 0-14-071045-0.
- Hibbert, Christopher, ed. (1988). "Bevington Road". The Encyclopaedia of Oxford. Macmillan. p. 41. ISBN 0-333-39917-X.
- "The Horse & Jockey, Woodstock Road, Oxford". Flickr. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- Sherwood, Jennifer; Pevsner, Nikolaus (1974). The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire. Penguin Books. p. 319. ISBN 0-14-071045-0.
- Restoring the Bevington Road Gardens Archived 11 October 2008 at the Wayback Machine., St Annes's College, Oxford.
- Surface of Bevington Road, FixMyStreet.