Beware of the dog
Warning signs of this sort have been found in ancient Roman buildings such as the House of the Tragic Poet in Pompeii, which contains a mosaic with the caption cave canem (pronounced [ˈkaweː ˈkanẽː]). Some suppose that these warnings may sometimes have been intended to protect not the reader but the dog, preventing visitors from stepping upon small, delicate dogs of the Italian Greyhound type.
Under English law, placing such a sign does not relieve the owner of responsibility for any harm which may come to people attacked by the dog. Where a company employs the services of a guard dog, the Chapter 50 of Guard Dogs Act 1975 requires "a notice containing a warning that a guard dog is present is clearly exhibited at each entrance to the premises." In many cases, security signs integrate both CCTV warnings and Guard Dog warnings into the same signage.
Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision.
This is often interpreted as a euphemism, bad people having been described as dogs in a number of previous biblical passages. Nonetheless, the yard signs are sometimes alluded to in reference to the passage. The use of such signs in the Roman world may have influenced the author of the passage, and conversely the passage may have influenced the wording of the more modern yard signs.
- R Wright, RH Logie (1988), "How young house burglars choose targets", The Howard Journal of Criminal Justice, 27 (2): 92–104, doi:10.1111/j.1468-2311.1988.tb00608.x
- C Wilkinson (1998), "Deconstructing the fort", Journal of Australian Studies
- Cheryl S. Smith (2004), The Rosetta bone, pp. 10–11, ISBN 978-0-7645-4421-7
- James Paterson (1877), Commentaries on the Liberty of the Subject and the Laws of England, p. 271
- Charles G. Addison, Horace Gray Wood (1876), A treatise on the law of torts, p. 285
- Participation, Expert. "Guard Dogs Act 1975". www.legislation.gov.uk. Retrieved 2019-08-17.
- ""Site Security Sign". securitysignage.co.uk. Retrieved 2019-08-17.
- ◄ Philippians 3:2 ► Bible Hub
- Why to Beware of Dogs?
- Warning: Beware of Dogs
- Onward & Upward: Philippians 3:12-16
- The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament
- Beware of dogs
- Media related to Dog-related warning signs at Wikimedia Commons