Bexhill and Battle (UK Parliament constituency)
|Bexhill and Battle|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Bexhill and Battle in East Sussex.
Location of East Sussex within England.
|Population||100,727 (2011 census)|
|Electorate||78,602 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Huw Merriman (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Eastbourne and Rye|
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
1983–2010: The District of Rother wards of Ashburnham, Battle, Beckley and Peasmarsh, Bodiam and Ewhurst, Brede and Udimore, Burwash, Catsfield and Crowhurst, Central, Collington, Etchingham and Hurst Green, Northiam, Old Town, Sackville, St Mark's, St Michael's, St Stephen's, Salehurst, Sedlescombe and Whatlington, Sidley, Ticehurst, and Westfield, and the District of Wealden wards of Herstmonceux, Ninfield, and Pevensey and Westham.
2010–present: The District of Rother wards of Battle Town, Central, Collington, Crowhurst, Darwell, Ewhurst and Sedlescombe, Kewhurst, Old Town, Rother Levels, Sackville, St Mark's, St Michael's, St Stephen's, Salehurst, Sidley, and Ticehurst and Etchingham, and the District of Wealden wards of Cross In Hand/Five Ashes, Heathfield East, Heathfield North and Central, Herstmonceux, Ninfield and Hooe with Wartling, and Pevensey and Westham.
The seat's first MP, Charles Wardle, served as a junior Home Office minister in the government of John Major; Wardle had the Conservative whip removed shortly before the 2001 election. The seat was held by Gregory Barker from 2001 until 2015; Barker was a junior minister at the Department for Energy and Climate Change between the formation of the Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition after the 2010 general election and the major government reshuffle of July 2014, when he resigned and announced his intention to retire from Parliament at the next general election. In the 2015 election, the most recent MP, Huw Merriman was elected.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||Joel Kemp||4,485||7.5||-0.1|
|Conservative||Huw Merriman ||30,245||54.8||+3.2|
|UKIP||Geoffrey Bastin ||10,170||18.4||N/A|
|Labour||Michelle Thew ||7,797||14.1||+2.1|
|Liberal Democrat||Rachel Sadler ||4,199||7.6||−20.4|
|Liberal Democrat||Mary Varrall||15,267||28.0||+5.3|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Mary Varrall||11,180||23.9||−0.8|
|Liberal Democrat||Stephen Hardy||11,052||24.7||−0.8|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Kathryn M. Field||12,470||25.5||−3.4|
|Labour||Robert D. Beckwith||8,866||18.1||+8.7|
This constituency underwent boundary changes between the 1992 and 1997 general elections and thus change in share of vote is based on a notional calculation.
|Liberal Democrat||Susan M. Prochak||15,023||28.9||+3.0|
|Labour||Frank W. Taylor||4,883||9.4||+1.7|
|Green||Jonathan L. Prus||594||1.1||N/A|
|Independent||Mary F. Smith||190||0.4||N/A|
Elections in the 1980s
|Social Democratic||Robert Kiernan||13,051||25.8||+2.3|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Bexhill and Battle: Usual Resident Population, 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- "Electorate Figures – Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "'Bexhill and Battle', June 1983 up to May 1997". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Archived from the original on 11 March 2016. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "As it happened: PM reshuffles cabinet". 14 July 2014 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "B" (part 3)
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- http://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2014/11/cllr-huw-merriman-is-selected-for-bexhill-and-battle.htmll[permanent dead link]
- "BEXHILL & BATTLE 2015". electionresults.blogspot.co.uk.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "BBC News - Election 2010 - Constituency - Bexhill & Battle". news.bbc.co.uk.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 6 Dec 2010.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.