Beyond Belief (album)
|Studio album by Petra|
|Released||June 20, 1990|
|Genre||Christian rock, hard rock|
|Producer||John and Dino Elefante|
|Jesus Freak Hideout||(no staff review)|
As of late 2011, this is the band's most successful album both critically and commercially, and it is considered by most to be the peak of their discography. The album won the band their first Grammy after five previous nominations, and was certified gold on October 3, 1995.
The band also released a mini-movie of the same title. The movie features videos of most of the songs of the album intercalated in the plot. (see Beyond Belief)
All songs written by Bob Hartman, except where noted.
- "Armed and Dangerous" – 4:06
- "I am on the Rock" (Hartman, John Elefante) – 4:37
- "Creed" – 4:36
- "Beyond Belief" – 5:06
- "Love" – 4:10
- "Underground" (Hartman, J. Elefante) – 4:33
- "Seen and Not Heard" – 3:54
- "Last Daze" – 5:04
- "What's in a Name" – 3:34
- "Prayer" (Hartman, J. Elefante) – 4:15
- Won Grammy Award for Best Rock Gospel Album in 1991.
- Won Dove Award for Long Form Music Video in 1990.
- Won Dove Award for Rock Album in 1991.
- Won Dove Award for Rock Recorded Song ("Beyond Belief") in 1991.
- Won Dove Award for Recorded Music Packaging in 1991.
- John Schlitt - lead vocals
- Bob Hartman - lead guitar, backing vocals
- John Lawry - keyboards, backing vocals
- Ronny Cates - bass, backing vocals
- Louie Weaver - drums
- John and Dino Elefante, Dave Amato - background vocals
- Walt Harrah and the Los Alamitos Congregational Choir - background vocals on "Love"
- John Andrew Schreiner - additional keyboards
- Amy Linden - Production coordination
- Bob Hartman and John and Dino Elefante - arrangements
- John & Dino Elefante - producers
- Mike Mireau, John and Dino Elefante and Gregg Jampol - engineers
- Jeff Simmons - assistant engineer
- Recorded and mixed at Pakaderm and Pakaderm West, Los Alamitos, California
- Bob Ludwig - mastering at Masterdisk, New York City
|Directed by||Stephen Yake|
|Produced by||Stephen Yake|
Prior to the release of the album, Petra released a short film also called Beyond Belief. The film was produced and directed by Stephen Yake and written by Yake, Tom Newman, Andrea Jobe and Jeff Bates.
The film features six videos of songs featured on the Beyond Belief album intercalated in the plot of the film. The members of the band also make cameo appearances during the film. The project was filmed on location in Tulsa, Oklahoma, Phoenix and Sedona, Arizona, Coos Bay, Oregon, Miami, Florida and Lima, Perú.
While David is diagnosed with cancer, Chad must compete in a huge track and field competition to get a scholarship at Angelo State. David also insists on Chad mending his relationship with their father, who recently walked out on their family.
The song videos included are:
- "Seen And Not Heard"
- "Beyond Belief"
- "I Am On the Rock" (Words and music by Bob Hartman and John Elefante)
- "Armed and Dangerous"
All songs are included in the band's album Beyond Belief, and were written by the band's guitarist/founder Bob Hartman, except where noted.
- Tony Leech - Chad Warren
- Jason Rogers - David Warren
- Vicci Jo Witty - Mrs. Warren
- Bob Maras - Mr. Warren
- Monte Light - Young Chad
- Adam Maras - Yound David
- Larry Smith - Coach
- Tom Holder - Chris
- "Beyond Belief - Petra - Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved July 13, 2015.
- "Petra, "Beyond Belief" Review". jesusfreakhideout.com. Retrieved July 13, 2015.
- "Past Winners Search". Grammy. Retrieved June 14, 2014.
- "RIAA - Gold & Platinum Searchable Database". RIAA. Retrieved June 14, 2014.
- "Petra Beyond Belief". CFDB: Christian Film Database. Retrieved June 14, 2014.