|EP by Metallica|
|Released||December 13, 2011|
|Recorded||April 2007–May 2008 at Sound City Studios in Los Angeles; June 2008 at Shangri La Studios in Malibu; Metallica's HQ in San Rafael|
|Genre||Thrash metal, Heavy Metal|
|Metallica EPs chronology|
Beyond Magnetic is a 2012 EP by American heavy metal band Metallica. It was released to coincide with the band's 30th anniversary shows, in which they released a new song for all four days of the shows. It was originally released as a digital download only on iTunes on December 13, 2011. All four songs featured on Beyond Magnetic were all recorded for the group's Death Magnetic sessions but had not been released. Beyond Magnetic was released on CD on January 30, 2012, internationally, and on the following day in the United States. As of 2013, Beyond Magnetic sold over 162,000 copies in the U.S.
The band stated the following about the EP:
During the Death Magnetic album sessions in 2007 and 2008, we originally recorded 14 songs. When it came time to pick the songs for the final album, we decided on 10 songs that you've all come to know over the last three years... Some of you may have heard bits and pieces of those other songs on 'Mission Metallica' (remember 'Mission Metallica'?!) or heard rumors about them during the recording process, and wondered, 'What ever happened to those other four songs???.' We kept them in the vault and decided to pull them just for this special celebration, so here are the four leftover tracks from the Death Magnetic sessions. They are ROUGH mixes, unfinished to their original degree of mixing from March '08. These four songs were released as a gift to our closest fans, the members of our Fan Club, to enjoy. Now they're being made available to you.
On January 3, 2012, Metallica announced that Beyond Magnetic was to be released as a CD on January 31 in the U.S., and January 30 internationally. It was also announced that the EP would be released on vinyl, and would be made available on April 21 in celebration of Record Store Day.
|Consequence of Sound|||
Reviews of Beyond Magnetic have been largely positive. Allmusic gave Beyond Magnetic a rating of 4 out of 5 stars, and reviewer Stephen Erlewine called the EP "as potent as its 2008 parent." Meanwhile, Artistdirect gave the EP the maximum of 5 stars. Reviewer Rick Florino commented that the band "sounds like an uncaged beast ready to once again rip rock 'n' roll a new one." Florino also called the album's closing track, "Rebel of Babylon", a "metallic symphony with crescendos of pain, paranoia, and power" comparable to the songs "Master of Puppets" and "...And Justice for All".
|2.||"Just a Bullet Away"||7:11|
|3.||"Hell and Back"||6:57|
|4.||"Rebel of Babylon"||8:01|
- James Hetfield – lead vocals, rhythm guitar, lead guitar on "Just a Bullet Away"
- Lars Ulrich – drums
- Kirk Hammett – lead guitar
- Robert Trujillo – bass guitar
- Technical personnel
- Rick Rubin – production
- Mike Gillies – engineering
- Greg Fidelman – mixing
- Sara Lyn Killion – engineering
- Joshua Smith – engineering
- Adam Fuller – engineering
- Ted Jensen – mastering
- Vlado Meller – mastering
|Chart (2011)||Peak position|
|Australian Albums Chart||19|
|Canadian Albums Chart||15|
|Hungarian Albums Chart||12|
|New Zealand Albums Chart||22|
|U.S. Billboard 200||29|
|Worldwide||December 13, 2011||Warner Bros.||digital|
|International||January 30, 2012||Warner Bros.||CD|
|United States||January 31, 2012||Warner Bros.||CD|
|North America||April 21, 2012||Warner Bros.||Vinyl|
- "BLABBERMOUTH.NET - METALLICA's 'Beyond Magnetic' Cracks U.S. Top 40 - Dec. 21, 2011". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- "News | Four Previously Un-released Tracks On iTunes". Metallica.com. 2011-12-12. Retrieved 2011-12-16.
- "BLABBERMOUTH.NET - METALLICA Releases 'Beyond Magnetic' Digital EP". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 2011-12-16.
- "Metallica releases Beyond Magnetic EP". Consequence of Sound. 12 December 2011. Archived from the original on 21 December 2011. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- "METALLICA: 'Beyond Magnetic' To Receive CD Release". Blabbermouth.net. 3 January 2011. Archived from the original on 4 January 2011. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- "Metallica's 'Beyond Magnetic' EP to Receive Vinyl Release". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Beyond Magnetic". Allmusic.com. Allmusic. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- Florino, Rick. "Metallica "Beyond Magnetic EP" Review - 5 out of 5". Artistdirect. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- Buchanan, David (2012-01-30). "Album Review: Metallica – Beyond Magnetic EP". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved 2012-03-29.
- By David Fricke (2012-02-23). "Beyond Magnetic | Album Reviews". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "METALLICA's 'Beyond Magnetic' Cracks U.S. Top 40". Blabbermouth.net. 21 December 2011. Archived from the original on 21 December 2011. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- "Top 50 Albums Chart - Australian Recording Industry Association". ARIA. Retrieved February 5, 2012.
- "MAHASZ – Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége". mahasz.hu. Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- Steffen Hung (2008-08-17). "Metallica - Beyond Magnetic". charts.org.nz. Retrieved 2012-03-16.