The first Beyond Retro store was opened in a disused dairy on Cheshire Street in East London in 2002 by Steven Bethell. A shop, located on Great Marlborough Street, followed in 2006 and in October 2009, another large-scale store in Brighton. A further UK store was opened in April 2019 in Bristol.
In 2009 and 2010, Beyond Retro were awarded CoolBrands status and were named number 9 in Time Out's '50 Best Shops of London' in September 2010. In November 2010, an online shop was launched. A further outlet in Dalston opened in 2011. In December, 2011 Beyond Retro was opened in Moscow  and also online shop was launched in Russia.
Beyond Retro stores sell vintage clothing from every era of the 20th century. All of the product found in any Beyond Retro store started as a donation to a charity. The sale of these donations to recycling companies generates revenue for charities throughout the Western world. Beyond Retro buys all of its clothing from charities directly, or indirectly through recycling companies. Paloma Faith, Barry Chuckle, Kate Nash, Diana Vickers, Jessie J, Marina & the Diamonds, Giant Haystacks, Carl Barat, and Alexa Chung have worn Beyond Retro clothing.
Beyond retro design & print archive
Beyond Retro are home to an archive resource, offering original vintage fashion print swatches and specialist vintage garments to industry clients.
Live bands play in-store regularly and the company hosts frequent art exhibitions, under the "we saw you coming" banner. In 2010, they curated a three-day music event in their Brighton store, during the Great Escape Festival, in association with So Darn So Records.
- "Cheshire Street: East London's Evolving Vintage Heartland". Something Curated. 2016-11-25. Retrieved 2020-05-06.
- "Steven Bethell And His Vision For Beyond Retro". Something Curated. 2015-12-03. Retrieved 2021-01-23.
- Murray, Robin (2019-03-25). "A huge new clothes shop is coming to Broadmead". BristolLive. Retrieved 2021-01-23.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-10-10. Retrieved 2011-01-20. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-01-16. Retrieved 2011-01-20. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)