Beyond the Rainbow
|Beyond the Rainbow|
|Directed by||Christy Cabanne|
|Written by||Christy Cabanne
Loila Brooks (adaptation)
Eustace Hale Ball (adaptation)
|Based on||"The Price of Feathers"
by Solita Solano
|Starring||Harry T. Morey
William H. Tuers
|Distributed by||Robertson-Cole Pictures|
|Language||Silent (English intertitles)|
Beyond the Rainbow is a 1922 American silent drama film starring Billie Dove and Harry T. Morey. The film is also notable as the first film actress Clara Bow appeared in. A 16mm print of the film is in the collection of the UCLA Film and Television Archive.
Virginia Gardner, a flapper girl, is left out of a fashionable party thrown by her mother (Helen Ware). To get revenge, she plays a joke by passing out notes to some of the guests reading, "Consult your conscience. Your secret is common gossip." This message sends a number of people into a panic during the party, and a shot rings out, wounding one of the men. When the mystery is cleared up, Marion Taylor (Billie Dove) and Edward Mallory (Harry Morey) have fallen in love.
- Harry T. Morey as Edward Mallory
- Billie Dove as Marion Taylor (credited as Lillian 'Billie' Dove)
- Virginia Lee as Henrietta Greeley
- Diana Allen as Frances Gardener
- James Harrison as Louis Wade
- Macey Harlam as Count Julien deBrisac
- Rose Coghlan as Mrs. Burns
- William H. Tooker as Dr. Ramsey
- George Fawcett as Nathanial Gardener
- Helen Ware as Mrs. Nathanial Gardener
- Marguerite Courtot as Esther Dowling
- Edmund Breese as Insp. Richardson
- Walter Miller as Robert Judson
- Charles Craig as Col. Henry Gartwright
- Clara Bow as Virginia Gardener
- Huntley Gordon as Major Bruce Forbes
Clara Bow made her film debut in Beyond the Rainbow after winning a beauty and acting magazine sponsored contest. She filmed five scenes but, after seeing the film in Brooklyn, thought that she was cut from the film. Bow was devastated and put temporarily her acting ambitions aside. However, newspaper advertisements and editorial comments suggests she was not cut at all, at least not from the main release.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Beyond the Rainbow.|