Bhagat Phool Singh Mahila Vishwavidyalaya
|Motto||Women Empowerment Through Education|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof (Dr.) Asha Kadyan|
|Location||Khanpur Kalan, Sonipat, Haryana, India|
|Campus||Area 450 acres (1.8 km2)|
Bhagat Phool Singh Mahila Vishwavidyalaya, also known as Bhagat Phool Singh Women's University, is the first women's only State university of Northern India established by the Government of Haryana in August 2006 at Village Khanpur Kalan, District Sonipat. The objective of the University is to provide affordable qualitative higher education to women especially belonging to rural areas.
Bhagat Phool Singh Women's University has its origins in the ideas of the social reformer Bhagat Phool Singh. Considering educated woman as the key to social improvement, Singh established a gurukul for girls at Khanpur Kalan village in 1936. He attracted enemies for his efforts and was assassinated on 14 August 1942.
After Singh’s, his daughter, Subhashini Devi, took control of the gurukul and went on to establish Girls’ College (1967), Education College (1968), Ayurvedic College (1973), Mahila Polytechnic (1984), TIG Bhainswal Kalan (1999) and Law College (2003). Recognising her contribution, the Government of India conferred the Padma Shri on her in 1976.
The constituent institutes of the university are (incomplete list):
- Bhagat Phool Singh Kanya Gurukul, Khanpur Kalan
- Bhagat Phool Singh Girls College, Khanpur Kalan
- Bhagat Phool Singh Education College, Khanpur Kalan
- Bhagat Phool Singh Ayurvedic College, Khanpur Kalan
- Bhagat Phool Singh Medical College, Khanpur Kalan
- Bhagat Phool Singh Mahila Polytechnic, Khanpur Kalan
- Bhagat Phool Singh TIG Bhainswal Kalan, Khanpur Kalan
- Bhagat Phool Singh Law College, Khanpur Kalan
Bhagat Phool Singh Women University has approximately 7000 students. It provides education from nursery level through to doctorate, with many courses being of a vocational nature. Disciplines include engineering, law, management, commerce, economics, pharmacy, rural entrepreneurship development, hospitality and hotel administration, social work, education, applied sciences, various modern languages and ayurveda. Bhagat Phool Singh Women University is the first Indian university to Set up the UGC Area Study Centre for Indic and Asian Studies. In order to promote research, the university has introduced a PhD programme in various subjects.
Academic Staff College
It also has Academic Staff College which conducts Orientation and Refresher courses and Workshops for teacher participants from all over the country. So far 35 such programmes benefiting approximately 1000 teachers have been organized by the ASC.
The BPS Women University has signed MoUs for faculty, students and programme exchange with many international universities, these include, St. Catherine University, USA, Baltimore University, USA, Nottingham Trent University,UK and Kwangwoon University, South Korea. The University is regularly visited by international faculty and students for academic and cultural exchange.
Front Line Demonstration Centre
Since Bhagat Phool Singh Women University is situated in rural settings, it has collaborated with the farmers of neighboring villages for developing modern techniques of farming. The university with the assistance of Haryana Government’s Indo-Israel Project has set up Front Line Demonstration Centre (FLDC).
The FLDC Centre is engaged in growing fruits and vegetables with modern techniques. As a result, the farmers are trained in getting maximum yield from their fields.
The University is well connected through road to National Highway number 01, Delhi and the neighboring towns of Rohtak, Sonipat, Panipat, Gohana and Gannaur.
- List of Gurukuls
- State University of Performing And Visual Arts
- State Institute of Film and Television
- "Bhagat Phool Singh Mahila Vishwavidyalaya". jagranjosh.com. Retrieved December 26, 2013.
- "CONTRIBUTION OF BHAGAT PHOOL SINGH FOR WOMEN EDUCATION IN THE REGION AND ESTABLISHMENT OF OTHER GURUKULAS" (PDF).
- "DISTRICT CENSUS HANDBOOK VILLAGE AND TOWN WISE PRIMARY CENSUS ABSTRACT (PCA) SONIPAT" (PDF). 2011.
- "bhagat phool singh mahila vishwavidyalaya : Academics".
- P. KRISHNAN, Chittoor (2012). "In a different league" (published 22 Nov 2012). The Hindu.
- "UGC-Academic Staff College".
- "Official brochure" (PDF).