Bhagwati Charan Verma
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Bhagwati Charan Verma|
30 August 1903|
Safipur, Uttar Pradesh, British India
|Died||5 October 1981(aged 78)|
|Alma mater||Allahabad University|
|Notable awards||Padma Bhushan
Sahitya Akademi Award
Bhagwati Charan Verma (30 August 1903 – 5 October 1981), was one of the leading writers in Hindi. He wrote many novels, his best work was Chitralekha (1934), which was made into two successful Hindi films, 1941 and 1964. He was awarded Sahitya Akademi Award for his epic five-part novel, Bhoole Bisre Chitra in 1961 and Padma Bhushan in 1971. He was also nominated to Rajya Sabha in 1978.
Early life and education
Verma was born on 30 August 1903 in Safipur, Uttar Pradesh, India. where he received his early education. He also spent some years living with his extended family at the ancestral home in Patkapur. Thereafter he studied in The Sophical School, and went on to do his B.A. L.L.B. from Allahabad University.
After his education he practiced law at Kanpur and later at Hamirpur where he wrote his historic novel Chitralekha in 1934. Its success got him instant fame and started his literary career in which he went to write over 17 novels. He work at Calcutta Film Corporation for a while, followed by editing a weekly magazine, Vichaar. He also did screenwriting in Bombay, and later edited a Hindi daily Navjeevan; and finally he started writing independently in 1957.
He also served as a Hindi advisor at All India Radio, Lucknow and later in 1978, he was nominated to the Upper House of Indian Parliament, Rajya Sabha. He died on 5 October 1981. A park is named after him, in his birthplace, the town of Safipur
- Bhule Bisre Chitra, Rajkamal Prakashan, Delhi, 1959.
- Yuvraj Choonda
- Sabahin Nachawat Ram Gosain
- Kahi na Jay ka Kahiye
- Sabhin Nachavat Ram Gosai
- Samarthya Aur Seema
- Sampooran Natak
- Sidhi Sachchi Baten
- Tedhey Medhey Rastey
- Woh Phir Nahi Aai
- Do Banke
- Mathrubhu Barbar Santh Pranam
- Bhagwati Charan Verma, by Srilal Shukla, Translator, Tripti Jain, New Delhi, Sahitya Akademi. 1994. ISBN 81-7201-014-1.
prashn aur marichika,chanakya
- Teen Varsh (TV Serial, Telecast in 1993 on Doordarshan Lucknow and in 1995 on Doordarshan National Network)- Cast : Shekhar Suman, Gauri Saigan, Jaya Bhattacharya, Dinesh Shakul, Director – Sunil Batta
- Jeevan Ek Rang Anek (TV Series, 2003 Doordarshan Lucknow) : Director Sunil Batta
- Jeevan Ke Rang (TV Series, 2005 DD Bharti) : Director – Sunil Batta
- Gulzar; Govind Nihalani; Saibal Chatterjee (2003). Encyclopaedia of Hindi cinema. Popular Prakashan. p. 337. ISBN 81-7991-066-0.
- Chitralekha at the Internet Movie Database
- "Sahitya Akademi Citation". Indiapicks.com. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved 8 May 2008.
- "Personalities". Unnao.nic.in. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- "भगवती चरण वर्मा". Abhivyakti-hindi.org. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- Tripti Jain tr. biography, p.5
-  Archived 15 December 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- Lal, p. 4500
- "Bhagwati Charan Verma". India9.com. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- "Bhagwati Charan Verma Park". Wikimap.org. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- "sahitya-akademi.org". Sahitya-akademi.org. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- Mohan Lal (2006). The Encyclopaedia Of Indian Literature, Vol. 5. Sahitya Akademi. ISBN 81-260-1221-8.