Gautam Buddha Airport
Gautam Buddha Airport
|Owner||Government of Nepal|
|Focus city for|
|Elevation AMSL||358 ft / 109 m|
Gautam Buddha Airport (IATA: BWA, ICAO: VNBW), is an airport serving Siddharthanagar, a municipality in Rupandehi District in Province No. 5 in Nepal. There are plans to upgrade this airport to international standards, becoming Nepal's second international airport and is expected to cost USD 323 million, or about NPR 35 Billion.
Gautam Buddha Airport was opened in 1958 and is since operated by the Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal. In 2015, constructions began to turn the airport into an international airport becoming Nepal's second international airport to relief pressure currently sustained by the congested Tribhuvan International Airport. It is planned to have a 3,000 metres (9,843 ft) runway and sixteen international parking bays. The project is financed by a loan and grant aid from the Asian Development Bank. The contract to upgrade the airport was awarded to the Chinese company Northwest Civil Aviation Airport Construction Group in October 2014. The construction of the airport was set to be completed by the end of 2017 but the process was delayed for more than six months and the deadline of the completion was extended to 2019 due to the 2015 Nepal earthquake and the 2015 Nepal blockade.
The airport resides at an elevation of 358 feet (109 m) above mean sea level. It has one runway designated 10/28 with an asphalt surface measuring 1,510 by 34 metres (4,954 ft × 112 ft) and currently connecting only domestic routes.
There are several hotels in the vicinity of Gautam Buddha Airport.
Airlines and destinations
|Buddha Air||Kathmandu, Pokhara|
|Nepal Airlines||Kathmandu, Tulsipur|
- Airport information for VNBW from DAFIF (effective October 2006)
- Airport information for Bhairawa, Nepal - Gautam Buddha Airport (VNBW / BWA) at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective October 2006).
- "Gautam Buddha Airport" (PDF). Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- "Gautam Buddha Airport to have 16 parking bays". The Kathmandu Post. 3 August 2018. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- "Gautam Buddha Airport Project: 2nd package of project to start in Feb". The Kathmandu Post. 24 November 2017. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "Gautam Buddha Int'l Airport project becoming progressive". Aviation Nepal. 16 February 2018. Retrieved 27 March 2018.
- "Domestic Schedule". Nepal Airlines. Retrieved 1 October 2018.
- "NAC increasing flights in Domestic sector; 2 weekly flights to Tarigaun airport". Aviation Nepal. 9 October 2018. Retrieved 10 October 2018.