BharatMatrimony is an online matrimony service and a part of Matrimony.com. It was founded in 1997 by Murugavel Janakiraman, who later met his wife through his own matrimony site. The company has 130 offices in India, with offices in Dubai, Sri Lanka, United States and Malaysia to cater to its customers beyond India.
Murugavel Janakiraman started the BharatMatrimony website in 2000 while working as a software consultant for Lucent Technologies in Edison, N.J. In the late 1990s he set up a Tamil community web portal, which included matrimonial ads. He started BharatMatrimony after noticing the matrimonial ads generated most of his web traffic. He returned to India in 2004.
Back in the early 2000s, when there was skepticism about online matrimony and fear about paying online, the company pioneered doorstep collections in India. The company introduced features on their website like Matchboard, SoulMate Search, AstroMatch, and Express Interest to help customers make the right matches.
Anand Bhushan was hired by BharatMatrimony on a retainer basis.
Assisted Matrimony is a personalized match making service offered for busy professionals.
In 2006, the website earned into the Limca Book of World Records for having facilitated the highest number of documented marriages online in India, a number that has since reached one million marriages.
In 2009, BharatMatrimony launched more than 200 community portals, aimed at specific language groups and communities. The company launched more portals in 2010 aimed at Malaysian and Singaporean Tamils. BharatMatrimony operated in more than 14 regional languages. Another portal was aimed at defenee personnel.
In 2014, BharatMatrimony entered into talks with several telecom companies in order to launch its Interactive Voice Response (IVR) matrimony service. BharatMatrimony users would use the IVR service to send and receive voice messages from prospective matches on their mobile devices.
Assisted Matrimony is a personalized match making service, from BharatMatrimony, offered for busy Indian professionals who need assistance in finding a match . There is no data base that users can search. Trained relationship managers understand member preferences, search for matching profiles and send them to members. They then contact prospects and facilitate meetings on mutual consent of prospective families.
- Red Herring Global 100 Award, 2010
- Technology Fast 50, Deloitte Technology, 2008
- Best India Portal, PC World, 2007
- Business Standard. "Booming biz of online marriages". Business Standard Online. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- "Consim Info is now Matrimony.com". Business Standard. 11 June 2013. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- World Record. "Limca Book of World Record". Retrieved 2 November 2006.
- Business Week. "On Matrimony.com, India's Arranged Marriages". Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- "Boy meets girl, online". The Week. Retrieved May 16, 2014.
- Venkat, Archana. "BharatMatrimony going global". Business Line. Retrieved May 16, 2014.
- Reddy, T. Krithika. "Match Point". The Hindu. Retrieved May 16, 2014.
- "India's BharatMatrimony ushers in new era of arranged marriages". BBC News. Retrieved May 16, 2014.
- "PR Log". Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "SoulMate Search".
- "BharatMatrimony expands suite of mobile services & apps". exchange4media News Service. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- "BharatMatrimony expands suite of mobile services and apps". India Infoline News Service. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- "In Conversation: Anand Bhushan, General Counsel (APAC), Cognizant Technology Solutions". Bar and Bench.
- "Beyond the norm: Matrimony sites that focus on small groups reap big benefits". NDTV.
- Kumar, Meenakshi. "The Way I Work Murugavel J., BharatMatrimony.com". Retrieved May 16, 2014.
- "BharatMatrimony launches 250 community-based portals". Business Line. Retrieved May 16, 2014.
- Kaur, Gagandeep. "Marriages are now a mega market". Times of India. Retrieved May 16, 2014.
- "Matrimonial website for defence personnel". NDTV. Retrieved May 16, 2014.
- "Bharatmatrimony to tie-up with telecom ops". Business Standard. Retrieved May 16, 2014.
- NDTV. "Matrimony sites that focus on small groups reap big benefits". NDTV. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- oneindia. "BharatMatrimony launches new personalised service". oneindia. Retrieved 18 October 2008.
- afaqs. "Privilege Matrimony: The invisible matchmaker". afaqs. Retrieved 26 July 2010.
- indiadigitalreview. "Consim Info launches assisted matchmaking service PrivilegeMatrimony.com". indiadigitalreview. Retrieved 26 February 2010.
- "Consim wins Red Herring Global 100 Award". Business Standard. Retrieved May 16, 2014.
- "Technology Fast 50" (PDF). Deloitte. Retrieved May 16, 2014.
- "BharatMatriomy ranked best Indian portal for 2007". The Economic Times. Retrieved May 16, 2014.