Bharathi (2000 film)
|Directed by||Gnana Rajasekaran|
|Produced by||Sujatha Rangarajan|
|Written by||Gnana Rajasekaran|
|Based on||Subramanya Bharathi|
|Edited by||B. Lenin|
V. T. Vijayan
|Distributed by||Media Dreams|
Bharathi (Tamil: பாரதி) is a 2000 Indian Tamil-language biographical film starring Sayaji Shinde, Devayani and Nizhalgal Ravi. It is a biographical film based on the life of Subramania Bharati. The film was directed by Gnana Rajasekaran and won the National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Tamil for the year 2000.
- Sayaji Shinde as Subramania Bharathi
- Pushpaak Ramesh as Childhood Subramania Bharathi
- Devayani as Chellamal
- Ramesh Kumar as Subramania Bharathi' friend
- Nizhalgal Ravi as S. P. Y. Surendranath Arya
- T. P. Gajendran as Kuvalai
- Junior Balaiah
- Delhi Kumar
- Bala Singh
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||15 June 2000|
|Label||Sa Re Ga Ma|
|1.||"Agini Kunjondru"||K. J. Yesudas|
|2.||"Baratha Samuthayam"||K. J. Yesudas|
|3.||"Ethilum Ingu"||Madhu Balakrishnan|
|5.||"Keladaa Manida"||Rajkumar Bharathi|
|6.||"Mayil Pola Ponnu onnu"||Bhavatharini|
|7.||"Nallathor Veenai"||Ilaiyaraaja, Mano|
|8.||"Ninnaichcharan Adainthen"||Bombay Jayashree|
|10.||"Nirpathuve Nadapathuve"||Harish Raghavendra|
|11.||"Vante Matharam"||Madhu Balakrishnan|
Malathi Rangarajan of The Hindu said, "THE MAJESTIC GAIT, the intimidating, piercing eyes that sparkle with a mix of eccentricity, anger, defiance and passion – Shayaji Shinde is indeed a remarkable choice for the role of Bharati." and "It is another fantastic break for Devyani as Chellamma, the wife of Subramania Bharati. Her soft, vulnerable docility and her helpless effete submission to her husband's impractical way of life have been beautifully portrayed." Rediff said, "Sayaji Shinde as Bharati is simply splendid. His is an impressive performance, with nary an inkling of the trepidation that he is enacting Bharati's role -- he, a Maharashtrian and Tamil, an alien tongue." Thiraipadam.com said, "This is a good biography, but in the end, it seems like it's more a collection of stories than a continuous film. Which is unfortunate because the film had great potential to be absolutely stunningly excellent."
- "rediff.com, Movies: The Rediff Review: Tamil film Bharati". Rediff.com. 26 September 2000. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- Bharathi, IMDb, retrieved 17 November 2008
- In search of an Answer, Frontline, archived from the original on 21 June 2011, retrieved 11 January 2011
- "Film Review: Bharati". The Hindu. 8 September 2000. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Bharathi – Tamil Movie Review". Thiraipadam.com. Retrieved 12 March 2014.