This article's lead section may be too long for the length of the article. (October 2017)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Motto in English
|Educate to Elevate|
|Chancellor||Governor of Tamil Nadu|
|Affiliations||UGC, NAAC, NCTE, ACU, AIU|
Bharathiar University is a state university in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, South India. Named after Tamil poet Subramania Bharathiar, the university was established in February 1982 under the provision of Bharathiar University Act, 1981 (Act 1 of 1982) and was recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC) in 1985.
The university is in the foothills of Marudamalai road, Coimbatore and has jurisdiction over the districts of Coimbatore, Erode and the Nilgiris. It has 104 affiliated institutions (80 arts and science colleges, 29 colleges of education, eight management institutions, one Air Force administration college and one college of physical education).
The university was established at Coimbatore by the government of Tamil Nadu in February, 1982 under the provision of the Bharathiar University Act, 1981 (Act 1 of 1982). The Postgraduate Centre of the University of Madras, which was functioning in Coimbatore before 1982 formed the core of the Bharathiar University. In May, 1985 the university received recognition from the University Grants Commission New Delhi for the purpose of grants.
The university is named after the great national poet Subramania Bharathi, with the motto "Educate to Elevate".
Bharathiar University celebrated its silver jubilee celebrations on 24 February 2007. The president of India, A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, and the chief minister of Tamil Nadu, Karunanidhi, were chief guests. Bharathiar University provides graduate, masters, M.Phil and Ph.D programs in various subjects. The university is known for its stringent Phd evaluation guidelines.
The university is situated at the backdrop of the Maruthamalai Hills in the Western Ghat range, in a campus of 1000 acres, 15 kilometres from the city of Coimbatore.
Affiliated colleges and institutes
- School of Life sciences
- School of Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering
- School of Commerce and Management
- School of Chemical Sciences
- School of Computer Science and Engineering
- School of Educational studies
- School of Physical sciences
- School of Economics
- School of Mathematics and Statistics
- School of Social Sciences
- School of Tamil and other Indian Languages
- School of English and other Foreign Languages
- School of Distance Education
- Communication and Media Studies
- Bharathiar School of Management and Entrepreneur Development (MBA)
- Computer Science
- Computer Application
- Educational Technology
- Environmental Sciences
- Extension, Career Guidance and Students Welfare
- History,Information Technology
- Medical Physics
- Nanoscience and Technology
- Physical Education
- Political Science
- Population Studies & Human Resources Planning
- Social Work
- Academic Staff College
- Department of Microbial Biotechnology
- Bharathiar University Post Graduate Extension and Research Centre, Erode
|General – India|
|NIRF (Overall) (2018)||20|
|NIRF (Universities) (2018)||13|
- "VC's Message". www.b-u.ac.in. Bharathiar University. Retrieved 9 October 2017.
- "Silver jubilee celebrations of Bharathiar University". Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- "M.Phil / Ph.D Regulations Bharathiar University". PhD Degree Programs.
- "Affiliated Colleges List". www.b-u.ac.in. Retrieved 5 April 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Overall)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Universities)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bharathiar University.|