|Motto||பல கல்வி தந்து இந்தப்பாரை உயர்த்திட வேண்டும்|
Motto in English
|Educate to Elevate|
|Location||Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India
Bharathiar University is a state university in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, South India. Named after Tamil poet Subramania Bharathiar, the university was established in February 1982 under the provision of Bharathiar University Act, 1981 (Act 1 of 1982) and was recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC) in 1985. It has been ranked No. 4566 in the State and No. 8746 in the nation according to a Nielsen survey of 2011.
The university is in the foothills of Marudamalai road, Coimbatore and has jurisdiction over the districts of Coimbatore, Erode and the Nilgiris. It has 104 affiliated institutions (80 arts and science colleges, 29 colleges of education, eight management institutions, one Air Force administration college and one college of physical education).
The university was established at Coimbatore by the government of Tamil Nadu in February, 1982 under the provision of the Bharathiar University Act, 1981 (Act 1 of 1982). The Postgraduate Centre of the University of Madras, which was functioning in Coimbatore before 1982 formed the core of the Bharathiar University. In May, 1985 the university received recognition from the University Grants Commission New Delhi for the purpose of grants.
The university is named after the great national poet Subramania Bharathi, with the motto “Educate to Elevate”.
Bharathiar University celebrated its silver jubilee celebrations on 24 February 2007. The then president of India, A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, and the then chief minister of Tamil Nadu, Karunanidhi, were chief guests. Bharathiar University provides graduate, masters and PhD programs in various subjects (including distance PhD Programs). The university is known for its stringent Phd evaluation guidelines. 
- Chancellor: Mr. Konijeti Rosaiah, Governor of Tamil Nadu
- Vice-Chancellor: Dr.A.Ganapathy
- Registrar in -charge : Dr.P.Kolathaivel
- Controller of Examination : Dr.C.R.Gladys Leema Rose
- Director, SDE : Dr.P.E.Thomas.
The university is situated at the backdrop of the Maruthamalai Hills in the Western Ghat range, in a campus of 1000 acres, 15 kilometres from the city of Coimbatore. The university has 108 affiliated colleges, 96 arts and science colleges, 3 university constituent colleges, and 1 Air Force administration college. In addition, there are 31 research institutes of the State and Central governments, which are recognized by the university for research purpose. The institutions cater to the educational needs of more than 1,50,000 students and research scholars.
Colleges Particulars Numbers Constituent Colleges -3 Arts/Science Colleges -96 Co Education Colleges -85 Men's Colleges -4 Women's Colleges -19 Autonomous Colleges -22 Government Colleges -7 Stand Alone Institutions -12 Aided Colleges -16 Self-Financing Colleges -82 Research Institutions -31
Colleges by district
District name Number of colleges Coimbatore 61 Tiruppur 19 Nilgiris 6 Erode 22 Total 108 Number of courses offered : 321
Students enrolled : 1,86,000 students
- School of Life sciences
- School of Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering
- School of Commerce and Management
- School of Chemical Sciences
- School of Computer Science and Engineering
- School of Educational studies
- School of Physical sciences
- School of Economics
- School of Mathematics and Statistics
- School of Social Sciences
- School of Tamil and other Indian Languages
- School of English and other Foreign Languages
- School of Distance Education : Website : http://sde.b-u.ac.in/
- Communication and Media Studies
- Bharathiar School of Management and Entrepreneur Development (MBA)
- Computer Science
- Information Technology
- Computer Application
- Educational Technology
- Environmental Sciences
- Extension, Career Guidance and Students Welfare
- Medical Physics
- Nanoscience and Technology
- Physical Education
- Political Science
- Population Studies & Human Resources Planning
- Social Work
- Academic Staff College
- Department of Microbial Biotechnology
- Bharathiar University Post Graduate Extension Centre, Erode
- Ameeta Gupta, Ashish Kumar, Ashish Kumar (Chartered Accountant.) (2006). Handbook of universities. New Delhi: Atlantic publishers and distributors. p. 114. ISBN 81-269-0607-3.
- "Silver jubilee celebrations of Bharathiar University". Retrieved January 16, 2012.
- "Online PhD Programs – Bharathiar University". Online PhD Degree Programs. 2015. Retrieved February 12, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bharathiar University.|
|This article about a university or college in Tamil Nadu, India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|