|Motto||பல கல்வி தந்து இந்தப்பாரை உயர்த்திட வேண்டும்|
Motto in English
|Educate to Elevate|
|Location||Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India
Bharathiar University is a state university in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, South India. Named after Tamil poet Subramania Bharathiar, the university was established in February 1982 under the provision of Bharathiar University Act, 1981 (Act 1 of 1982) and was recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC) in 1985. It has been ranked No.1 in the State and No.14 in the nation according to the National Institutional Ranking Framework, Government of India
The university is in the foothills of Marudamalai road, Coimbatore and has jurisdiction over the districts of Coimbatore, Erode and the Nilgiris. It has 104 affiliated institutions (80 arts and science colleges, 29 colleges of education, eight management institutions, one Air Force administration college and one college of physical education).
The university was established at Coimbatore by the government of Tamil Nadu in February, 1982 under the provision of the Bharathiar University Act, 1981 (Act 1 of 1982). The Postgraduate Centre of the University of Madras, which was functioning in Coimbatore before 1982 formed the core of the Bharathiar University. In May, 1985 the university received recognition from the University Grants Commission New Delhi for the purpose of grants.
The university is named after the great national poet Subramania Bharathi, with the motto “Educate to Elevate”.
Bharathiar University celebrated its silver jubilee celebrations on 24 February 2007. The then president of India, A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, and the then chief minister of Tamil Nadu, Karunanidhi, were chief guests. Bharathiar University provides graduate, masters, M.Phil and Ph.D programs in various subjects. The university is known for its stringent Phd evaluation guidelines.
- 1 University Vision
- 2 University Mission
- 3 Administration
- 4 Location
- 5 Students enrolled
- 6 Schools
- 7 Departments
- 8 Milestones & Achievements
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Bharathiar University's vision is to provide Internationally comparable quality higher education to the youth. The aim is not only focused on imparting subject knowledge and skills, but also to mould the students with better conduct and character committed to the societal needs and national development. Enshrined with the motto “Educate to Elevate”. The University strives to realize the vision of India and excel in promoting and protecting the rich heritage of our past and secular ideals of the nation.
The University’s mission is
- To be innovative, inclusive and international University ; committed to excellence in teaching, research and knowledge transfer and to serve the social, cultural and economic needs of the nation".
- To innovate and offer educational programmes in various disciplines with synergistic interaction with the industry and society.
- To impart knowledge and skills to students equipping them to be ready to face the emerging challenges to the knowledge area.
- To provide equal opportunity to women students and prepare them to be equal partners in meeting the scientific and technological demands of the nation.
- To contribute to the advancement to knowledge through applied research leading to newer products and process.
- To prepare the students to work for societal transformation with commitment to justice and equality.
- To inculcate among students a global vision with skills of international competence.
The University is situated at the backdrop of Maruthamalai Hills in the Western Ghat range, in a sprawling campus of 1000 acres of land. 15 kms. from the City of Coimbatore. As of now the University has 108 affiliated colleges, 96 Arts and Science Colleges, 3 University Consituent Colleges, and 1 Air Force Administration College. In addition, there are 31 Research Institutes of the State and Central Governments, which are recognized by this University for research purpose. And all these institutions cater to the educational needs of more than 1,50,000 students and research scholars.
- Chancellor: Mr. Konijeti Rosaiah, Governor of Tamil Nadu
- Vice-Chancellor: Dr.A.Ganapathy
- Registrar in -charge : Dr.P.S.Mohan
- Controller of Examination : Dr.C.R.Gladys Leema Rose
- Director, SDE : Dr.P.E.Thomas.
The university is situated at the backdrop of the Maruthamalai Hills in the Western Ghat range, in a campus of 1000 acres, 15 kilometres from the city of Coimbatore. The university has 108 affiliated colleges, 96 arts and science colleges, 3 university constituent colleges, and 1 Air Force administration college. In addition, there are 31 research institutes of the State and Central governments, which are recognized by the university for research purpose. The institutions cater to the educational needs of more than 1,50,000 students and research scholars.
Colleges Particulars Numbers Constituent Colleges -3 Arts/Science Colleges -96 Co Education Colleges -85 Men's Colleges -4 Women's Colleges -19 Autonomous Colleges -22 Government Colleges -7 Stand Alone Institutions -12 Aided Colleges -16 Self-Financing Colleges -82 Research Institutions -31
Colleges by district
District name Number of colleges Coimbatore 61 Tiruppur 19 Nilgiris 6 Erode 22 Total 108 Number of courses offered : 321
Students enrolled : 1,86,000 students
- School of Life sciences
- School of Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering
- School of Commerce and Management
- School of Chemical Sciences
- School of Computer Science and Engineering
- School of Educational studies
- School of Physical sciences
- School of Economics
- School of Mathematics and Statistics
- School of Social Sciences
- School of Tamil and other Indian Languages
- School of English and other Foreign Languages
- School of Distance Education : Website : http://sde.b-u.ac.in/
- Communication and Media Studies
- Bharathiar School of Management and Entrepreneur Development (MBA)
- Computer Science
- Information Technology
- Computer Application
- Educational Technology
- Environmental Sciences
- Extension, Career Guidance and Students Welfare
- Medical Physics
- Nanoscience and Technology
- Physical Education
- Political Science
- Population Studies & Human Resources Planning
- Social Work
- Academic Staff College
- Department of Microbial Biotechnology
- Bharathiar University Post Graduate Extension Centre, Erode
Milestones & Achievements
Awarded “A” Grade by NAAC
The University opted for a evaluation by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) of the University Grants Commission. The apex council NAAC awarded “A” grade and subsequently re-accredited with “A” grade in the year 2009.
The University has been adjudged as the Fifth State Run Universities in India by the Sunday Indian 2011.
The University has been ranked amongst top 50 Universities in India and placed at 32 and 33 in the surveys conducted by the popular English magazines India Today and The Week in 2013 respectively.
In 2014, the University was ranked as 29th position by India Today.
DST Support for Augmenting Research Facilities
The Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India sanctioned over 10 Crores under FIST (Fund for Improvement of Science and Technology to the Eight Departments of the University to augment research facilities in the respective departments.
In addition, the Department of Science and Technology (DST) accorded Rs.9 Crores as appreciation of the R & D contribution by the University based on scientific publications in Science Citation Indexed Journals through SCOPUS as incentive grant under Promotion of University Research and Scientific Excellence (PURSE).
UGC Support for Potential Teaching and Reserarch
The UGC Supports 12 of our departments through its Special Assistance Programme (UGC_SAP) to encourage the pursuit of excellence and teamwork in advanced teaching and research to accelerate the realization of international standards in specific fields with a grant of more than 5 Crores.
DRDO – Bharathiar University Centre for Life Sciences (DRDO-BU-CLS)
The University established the DRDO-BU Centre for Life Sciences as a joint venture by DRDO, Bharathiar University and Government of Tamilnadu (Phase-I-~Rs.14 Crores and Phase-II - ~Rs.24 Crores) to engage research in advanced areas of Life Sciences and Multidisciplinary Areas which are relevant to defence. The center has created by our faculty members with very good infrastructure facilities and equipped with modern high end analytical instruments to carry out research by the university faculty and students.
- National Institutional Ranking Framework. New Delhi: Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2016.
- "Silver jubilee celebrations of Bharathiar University". Retrieved January 16, 2012.
- "M.Phil / Ph.D Regulations Bharathiar University". PhD Degree Programs.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bharathiar University.|