June 20, 1989|
White Plains, New York, United States
|Alma mater||George Washington University|
|Occupation||Publisher, writer, editor|
Bhaskar Sunkara is an American political writer, founding editor and publisher of Jacobin magazine and the publisher of Catalyst: A Journal of Theory and Strategy. He is a former vice-chair of the Democratic Socialists of America.
Sunkara credited his politicisation to his reading as a teenager: from George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four and Animal Farm he developed an interest in Leon Trotsky, reading his autobiography and Isaac Deutscher's three-volume biography, before progressing to the New Left, including thinkers such as Lucio Magri, Ralph Miliband, Perry Anderson and the journal New Left Review. He joined the Democratic Socialists of America at the age of 17, becoming editor of the DSA youth section's blog The Activist. He went on to study history at George Washington University in Washington, D.C., where he conceived the idea of Jacobin: after his sophomore year, he missed two semesters due to illness, and spent the time reading Marxist works. By the summer of 2010, he was preparing to return to his studies and inspired to create the magazine, which launched online in September of that year and in print at the beginning of 2011.
Sunkara described Jacobin as a radical publication, "largely the product of a younger generation not quite as tied to the Cold War paradigms that sustained the old leftist intellectual milieus like Dissent or New Politics.
The New York Times interviewed Sunkara in January 2013, commenting on Jacobin's unexpected success and engagement with mainstream liberalism. In late 2014, he was interviewed by New Left Review on the political orientation and future trajectory of the publication and in March 2016 was featured in a lengthy Vox profile.
Sunkara writes for Vice magazine, The New York Times, Washington Post and The Nation, among other outlets. He has appeared on the PBS Tavis Smiley program, MSNBC's Up with Chris Hayes, The Michael Brooks Show and the FX show Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell.
- Schuessler, Jennifer (January 1, 2013). "A Young Publisher Takes Marx into the Mainstream". The New York Times.
- Anderson, Perry (November–December 2014). "New masses, new media: Bhaskar Sunkara "Project Jacobin" interview". New Left Review. New Left Review. II (90).
- Matthews, Dylan (21 March 2016). "Inside Jacobin: how a socialist magazine is winning the left's war of ideas". Vox (website). Retrieved 26 March 2018.
- "No Short-Cuts: Interview with the Jacobin". Idiom magazine. March 16, 2011.
- The Majority Report with Sam Seder (2017-09-11), TMBS - Ep. 6 Why Bannon Is Still President & an American ANC? w/ Bhaskar Sunkara & Katie Halper, retrieved 2018-01-09
- New masses, new media: Bhaskar Sunkara "Project Jacobin" interview for the New Left Review
- "A Young Publisher Takes Marx Into the Mainstream", Jennifer Schuessler, The New York Times, 20 January 2013
- Exporting drones, Chapel Hill terrorism & how Marxism can be democratic. Breaking the Set, February 19, 2015. (Includes interview with Bhaskar Sunkara)
- "Inside Jacobin: how a socialist magazine is winning the left's war of ideas", Dylan Matthews, Vox, 21 March 2016
- The anti-Trump resistance will fail if we don't ditch establishment Democrats. Bhaskar Sunkara for The Guardian. 31 January 2017.