Vishnu Bhikaji Kolte
|Vishnu Bhikaji Kolte|
|Born||22 June 1908|
|Died||9 April 1998(aged 89)|
|Other names||Bhausaheb Kolte|
|Known for||Research in Mahanubhav Literature|
Kolte started his professional career as an assistant professor of Marathi at Vidarbha Mahavidyalaya in Amravati and then Morris College in Nagpur. He moved on to be the principal of Morris College. At Nagpur University, he became a member, and later chairman, of the Board of Studies in Marathi; a member, and later dean, of the faculty of Arts; and a member of the Academic Council and the Executive Council. He retired as the vice-chancellor of Nagpur University. He was also a member of the Board of Studies and the faculty of Arts of four other universities.
He researched about 20 ancient copper plates and stone inscriptions in Marathi, Prakrit, and Kannada languages. He decoded literature of Mahanubhav pandits, which they had written in an obscure code language in the 13th, 14th, 15th, and 16th century. He wrote exhaustive introductions to his books about the researched literature.
Kolte's writings include over 250 research articleski and over 20 books. The following is a partial list of the books which he authored:
- Lavhali (A collection of poems) (1928)
- Marathi Santon Ka Samajik Karya (Critique) (1935) (in Hindi)
- Bhaskar Bhatt Borikar: Charitra Va Kavyavivechan (Critique) (1935)
- Swastik (A collection of poems) (1937)
- Mahanubhava Tatvadnyan (1945)
- Mahanubhava Achardharma (1948)
- Shri Chakradhar (Literary biography) (1952)
- Mahanubhav Sanshodhana in two volumes (1962 and '84)
- Sahitya Sanchar (Essays) (1965)
- Pracheen Marathi Sahitya Sanshodhan (Essays in Hindi) (1968)
- Chakradhar Shevatache Prakaran (1982)
- Marathi Asmitecha Shodh (1989)
- Snehabandh (Essays) (1994)
- Giriparna (Essays)
The following is a partial list of over 15 books which Kolte edited:
- Uddhav Geeta (1935)
- Sthan Pothi (1937)
- Rukmini Swayamvar (1940)
- Vachaharan (1953)
- Shishupal Vadha (1960)
- Leela Charitra (1978)
- Shri Govind Prabhu (1994)
A Sahitya Akademi Fellowship was conferred on him in 1994.
- Dutt, K.C. Who's Who of Indian Writers, 1999. one. Sahitya Akademi. p. 615. ISBN 81-260-0873-3.
- Chopra, Pran Nath (1982). Religions and Communities of India. Vision Books. p. 53. ISBN 978-0-85692-081-3.
- "Kolte -- an academician par excellence". The Indian Express. 10 April 1998.
- "List of Padma Shri Awardees" (PDF). Government of India.