Man Made Island near Bhavani Island
|Location||Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh, India|
|Area||133 acres (54 ha)|
|Operated by||Andhra Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation|
Bhavani Island situated in the midst of the Krishna River, at Vijayawada. It is located at the upstream of Prakasam Barrage and is considered as one of the largest river islands in India, with an area of 133 acres (54 ha).
The Kanaka Durga Temple is the abode of Goddess Durga. She is also known with another name as Bhavani and hence, the island is named Bhavani Island. The island is located in close proximity to the temple.
Andhra Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation has taken initiatives to develop the place into a tourist spot. One such initiative is Shilparamam, an arts and crafts village project. It is also helpful for local artisans such as Kondapalli toy makers, weavers etc. APTDC has developed infrastructure on Bhavani Island to attract many tourists, which include sporting activities, resorts, rural museum, Berm Park, rope-way etc.
- "Bhavani Island". AP Tourism Department. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- "Naming of Island". The Hindu. VIJAYAWADA. 7 Nov 2011. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- P. SUJATHA VARMA (27 May 2013). "Tourism improvements". The Hindu. VIJAYAWADA. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- P. SUJATHA VARMA (19 May 2014). "Shilparamam to add colour to Bhavani Island". The Hindu. VIJAYAWADA. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- P. SUJATHA VARMA (5 Feb 2014). "Development of island". The Hindu. Vijayawada. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- "Bhavani Island was developed as a new adventure sports". jagranjosh.com. 24 Mar 2014. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bhavani Island.|