|• Type||Municipal corporation|
|Elevation||241 m (791 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Bhawanigarh is a town and a municipal council (Class-3) in Sangrur district in the state of Punjab, India. It is also the headquarter of Bhawanigarh tehsil, which was formed in December 2016. The town is also called Dhode, after the clan of its original founders. The town lies 19 kilometres east of Sangrur on the Patiala-Sangrur road. Patiala is 36 kilometres east of Bhawanigarh.
Facts and some history
As of 2001 India census, Bhawanigarh had a population of 17,780. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Bhawanigarh has an average literacy rate of 62%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with male literacy of 66% and female literacy of 57%. 12% of the population is under 6 years of age. According to 2011 census data, its total population is 22320. The name Bhawanigarh originates from "Bhawani" mata. There is a temple of Bhawani mata in Bhawanigarh.
Places of Interest
- Shri Gugu teg bahadur stadium situated near the police station .
It is of approximately 5 acres in area .
- Guru teg bahadur college which is at back side of stadium .
- Gaushala market is at the centre of town and famous for best shopping centres
- "List of Tehsils in Punjab". Retrieved 2016-12-19.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
|This article about a location in the Indian state of Punjab is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|