|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Bhedaghat (Hindi: भेड़ाघाट) is a town and a nagar panchayat in Jabalpur district in the state of Madhya Pradesh, India. It is situated by the side of river Narmada and is approximately 20 km from Jabalpur city. Its most famous sights are the Dhuandhar Falls, Marble Rocks, and the Chaunsath Yogini temple
The temple is one of the four major extant temples containing carvings of sixty four yogini, female yoga mystics. It was built in the 10th century under the Kalachuris. It commands a view of the whole area around and of the river flowing through the marble rocks.
Its major attraction is a waterfall known as Dhuandhar, which looks like smoke coming out of the river and therefore it got its name as "Dhuan(smoke)-dhar(flow of water)". Another major attraction is 'Bandar Kodini', when one travels in between the marble rocks in a boat, the mountains at both the sides at one point come so close that the monkeys are able to jump across them, hence the name "Bandar Kodini". In a moonlit night, the travel between the marble rock mountains in a boat on the river Narmada is one of the popular tourist attractions here.
As of 2001[update] India census, Bhedaghat had a population of 1840. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Bhedaghat has an average literacy rate of 63%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with male literacy of 71% and female literacy of 53%. 16% of the population is under 7 years of age.
The nearest railway station is Bhedaghat Railway station. It is possible to take a tempo (auto-rickshaw) from Jabalpur to Bhedaghat. Its distance from the main city is about 28 km.
Portrayals in popular culture
- 1961: A hit song of the film Jis Desh Mein Ganga Behti Hai was shot at Bhedaghat. This song featured Raj Kapoor and Padmini.
- 1973: Hindi movie Bobby uses Bhedaghat as the settings of its climactic scene.
- 1974: Bollywood movie Pran Jaye Par Vachan Na Jaye starring stars Sunil Dutt, Rekha, Premnath, Jeevan, Bindu, Madan Puri, and Ranjeet used Bhedaghat as the location of its climax.
- 2001: The song "Raat Ka Nasha Abhi" from the Hindi film Asoka was shot in Bhedaghat among the marble rocks by the Narmada River.
- 2013: The opening episode of the STAR Plus TV series Mahabharata features Bhedaghat as a location where Shantanu and Satyavati meets.
- 2016: The crocodile fight scenes of the Hindi movie Mohenjo Daro are shot at Bhedaghat.
in 2011 assembly elections, congress registered a win here.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bhedaghat.|
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.