This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|District of Haryana|
Location of Bhiwani district in Haryana
Bhiwani District is one of the 22 districts of Haryana state in northern India. Created on 22 December 1972, the district was largest district of state by area before the creation of Charkhi Dadri as a separate district as it occupied an area of 5,140 square kilometres (1,980 sq mi) and administered 442 villages with a population of 1,629,109. Sirsa is now the largest district of the state. The district headquarters is the city of Bhiwani, which is around 124 kilometres (77 mi) from the capital Delhi. Other major towns in the district are Siwani, Loharu, Tosham, Bawani Khera, Kohlawas, Lamba. In 1997, Saudi Arabian Airlines Flight 763 collided with Kazakhstan Airlines Flight 1907 in the skies over the district and more than 350 people were killed. There were no casualties on the ground though.
Origin of name
The district is named after its headquarters, Bhiwani city. Bhiwani city, it is believed, was founded by a Rajput named Neem Singh after his wife Bhani. The name Bhani later changed to Bhiyani and subsequently to Bhiwani.
Pre-Indus Valley Civilization mine, smelt and houses have been found at Khanak hills of Tosham Hill range. Excavations (1968–73 and 1980–86) in the village of Mitathal in Bhiwani have unearthed evidence of pre-Harappan and Harappan (Indus Valley Civilization) culture in the area. Near the village of Naurangabad, about 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) east of Bhiwani city, preliminary diggings in 2001 revealed artifacts including coins, tools, sieves, toys, statues and pots up to 2,500 years old. According to archaeologists the presence of coins, coin moulds, statues and design of the houses, suggests that a town existed here sometimes in the Kushan, Gupta and the Youdheya period till 300 BC.
The district comprises four sub-divisions: Bhiwani, Loharu, Siwani and Tosham. These sub-divisions are further divided into five Tehsils: Bhiwani, Loharu, Siwani, Bawani Khera and Tosham and one sub-tehsil, Behal.
There are five Vidhan Sabha constituencies in this district: Bhiwani, Loharu, Bawani Khera, Tosham and Bawani Khera. Bawani Khera is part of the Hisar (Lok Sabha constituency) while the rest are part of Bhiwani-Mahendragarh (Lok Sabha constituency).
According to the 2011 census Bhiwani district has a population of 1,629,109, roughly equal to the nation of Guinea-Bissau or the US state of Idaho. This gives it a ranking of 306th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 341 inhabitants per square kilometre (880/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001–2011 was 14.32%. Bhiwani has a sex ratio of 884 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 76.7%.
There is a state university in bhiwani named Chaudhary Bansilal University, established in 2014.
There are four engineering colleges in Bhiwani district:
- Bhiwani Institute of Technology and Sciences (BITS)
- Institute of Technology and Science (ITS), Bhiwani
- The Technological Institute of Textile and Sciences, Bhiwani
- Balaji college of Engineering (polytechnic), Bhiwani
- B.R.C.M. College of Engineering & Technology, Bahal, Bhiwani.
There are many Graduate and Post Graduate colleges also viz.
- Adrash PG College (for Girls) Bhiwani
- Bansilal Govt. Girl College Tosham
- C.C.C Nursing College, Singhani (Loharu)
- Govt. Pg College, Bhiwani
- Govt. College Baund
- Govt. College, Bawani Khera
- Rajiv gandhi ( gvt. Grls) College, Bhiwani
- Govt. Post Graduate College, Loharu
- Govt. Polytechnic, Loharu
- Janta Vidya Mandir Ch. Dardri
- Kirori Mal B.Ed. College Bhiwani
- Vaish PG College Bhiwani
- Maharana pratap girls colege, Bhiwani
Bhiwani is also about to have M K Hospital, a multi-speciality hospital. It has a helicopter ambulance facility also. There is a far possibility that it becomes a medical college in future.
Bhiwani is known for its numerous temples and therefore is also known as Chhota Kashi. A Sri Hari Har temple is there. Pranparthistha of this Shiv temple was done in January 2003. There is a Jain temple in Ranila, 27 km. away from Bhiwani town. There is a Maa Durga temple in Devsar Dhaam. It has its most famous temple called "Jogi Wala Mandir", dedicated to Lord Shiva. It also has "Star Temple" at Dinod, beautifully architectured in the shape of "star" There is a Shree Shyam Mandir in village Dhareru which is very famous. There is also Baba Mukhram Das(BMD) as well as Baba Baldev Das (BBD) Temple in the Village Umrawat which is very famous'.
Bhiwani is probably most strongest hub of sports in India. All the sports are played there, mainly Wrestling, Volleyball, Boxing and Running. Lately, Bhiwani has emerged as major centre of Indian boxing as all four boxers representing India at Beijing Olympics 2008 are products of Sports Authority of India (SAI) boxing hostel at Bhiwani. To top that three of them Akhil Kumar, Vijender Kumar and Jitender Kumar reached the quarterfinals of their respective categories. While Akhil Kumar and Jitender Kumar lost in their respective quarterfinals bouts Vijender Kumar qualified to the semifinals thereby ensuring India's first ever Boxing medal (Bronze) in the 2012 Summer Olympics games. Paramjeet Samota who won a gold for India in the 2010 Commonwealth Games also lives in a large village called Dinod in the Bhiwani district. Sangam Soni also won a gold medal in Karate in Mumbai international level fight.
National Leaders of Bhiwani
Bhiwani is home town of Renowned Freedom Fighter and Social Reformer Late Choudhary. Bansi Lal, (former Chief Minister of Haryana, Minister of Defence, Member of Parliament, Member of Legislative Assembly, Dy. Chief Minister, Speaker of Haryana Assembly and Minister in Haryana Cabinet) who also known for his contribution in Bhiwani by establishing many educational institutions like Adarsh Mahila Mahavidyalya (awarded best women college in Haryana), Vaish educations institutes (PG College, schools), Nature Cure Hospital (Prakritik Chikitsalya) Bhiwani and many more charitable and social organisation.
- Thakur Bir Singh - Ex Minister Haryana
- Bansi Lal - Former Chief Minister of Haryana
- Dinesh Kumar - Boxer
- Hawa Singh - Legendary boxer from Haryana
- Jagdish Singh - Boxer
- Jitender Kumar (flyweight boxer)
- Jitender Kumar (middleweight boxer)
- Richhpal Ram - Victoria Cross winner in World War-II
- Vijay Kumar Singh PVSM, AVSM, YSM, ADC - COAS for Indian Army
- Vijender Singh - Olympic Bronze medal winner in boxing
- Geeta Phogat - Wrestler
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 29 March 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-27.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- Ravindra N Singh and Dheerendra P Singh, 2016, "A Note on Metallurgy at KhanaK: An Indus Site in Tosham Mining Area, Haryana", World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology International Journal of Environmental, Chemical, Ecological, Geological and Geophysical Engineering. Vol:10, No:9.
- "Charki Dadri notified as 22nd district of Haryana". The Times of India. 5 December 2016.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Guinea-Bissau 1,596,677 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 19 October 2013. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bhiwani district.|