|Location||Bhogapuram, Vizianagaram District|
Bhogapuram Airport, a greenfield international airport project will be built near Bhogapuram at Vizianagaram district, 40 kilometers north-east of Visakhapatnam, India. The project will come up on 5,311 acres in and around Bhogapuram, including 1,673 acres of government land. The Airport's foundation was laid by the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, Nara Chandrababu Naidu, on 14 February 2019 and will be built by the Bhogapuram International Airport Company Limited (BIACL), a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) owned by the government that was set up in May 2015. The airport will be built as part of an aerotropolis, which will also have a Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) Facility along with an Aviation Academy. The Project will be taken up in the Public Private Partnership (PPP) mode with the state holding stake in the form of land holdings.
The proposal for setting up a Greenfield airport was mooted during the Congress regime in 2013. Alternate sites like Atchuthapuram, S Rayavaram and Bheemili were also considered, but the Indian Navy raised objections to these sites. The Airports Authority of India (AAI) gave its technical approval of the Project site in June, 2015. The Request for proposals (RFP) for the project was issued in July 2016, and Airports Authority of India (AAI) and the GMR Group submitted their technical and financial bids in August 2017. The current Visakhapatnam Airport is a Civil Enclave on a Naval Airfield, and hence suffers from constraints.
An in-principle approval has been granted for the project, that would be developed by the Government of Andhra Pradesh under PPP basis. A prebid meeting was held in August, 2018,for which 13 developers showed interest in developing this airport. The airport's construction is expected to start in 2020 and is expected to be completed by December 2023.
- "Bhogapuram: suitable package for ryots being evolved, says C.M." The Hindu. 1 September 2015.
- "SPV formed for Bhogapuram airport to speed up works". The Hindu. 21 May 2015. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- "AP plans aerotropolis at Bhogapuram". The Times of India. 14 March 2015. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- "Govt Zeroes in on Bhogapuram For Green Field Airport". The New Indian Express. 13 March 2015. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- "NAAI nod for Bhogapuram Airport Plan, says Minister". The Hindu. 23 June 2015. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- "Airports Authority of India, GMR in race to bag Bhogapuram airport project". The Times of India. 20 August 2017. Retrieved 21 August 2017.
- "Greenfield International Airport to come up at Bhogapuram in Vizag". The Hindu Business Line. 15 April 2015. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
|This article about an airport in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|