|Operator(s)||West Central Railway, Central Railway|
|Rolling stock||WDM-2, WDM-3A, WDM-3D, WDS-6 and WDP-4 diesel locos. WAM-4, WAP-4, WAP-7 and WAG-5 electric locos.|
|Track length||390 km (242 mi)|
|Number of tracks||2|
|Track gauge||1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in) broad gauge|
|Operating speed||up to 160 km/h|
The Bhopal–Nagpur section is a railway line connecting Bhopal and Nagpur. This 390 km (242 mi) track is part of the Delhi-Chennai line. The section is under the jurisdiction of West Central Railway and Central Railway.
The Bhopal-Itarsi line was opened by the Begum of Bhopal in 1884. Itarsi was linked with Nagpur between 1923 and 1924. The Bhopal-itarsi-Nagpur line became part of the Delhi-Chennai line in 1929.
The Bhopal-Itarsi sector was electrified in 1988-89 and the Nagpur-Itarsi sector in 1990-91.
T}he Delhi-Chennai Central line (Grand Trunk route) is classified as a "Group A" line which can take speeds up to 160 km/h.
Loco sheds and workshops
Itarsi diesel shed holds 145+ locos. It has WDM-2, WDM-3A, WDM-3D, WDS-6 and WDP-4 diesel locos. This shed serves routes all across central India. Itarsi electric loco shed came up in the 1980s. It holds WAM-4, WAP-4 and WAG-5 electric locos. Its WAG-5 locos perform banking duties on the Budni - Barkhera ghat section.There are also ghat sections between Teegaon-Chinchoda and Dharakhoh-Maramjhiri In Bhopal-Nagpur section where bankers are attached to trains. Broad Gauge Coach Workshop at Bhopal handles rebuilding and overhaul of old passenger coaches. There is a coach maintenance workshop at Nagpur.
- "Jhansi Itarsi Passenger 51828". India Rail Info.
- "Itarsi Nagpur Passenger 51830". India Rail Info.
- "IR History: Early Days – II". Chronology of railways in India, Part 2 (1870-1899). Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Introduction". Nagpur Itarsi Route. Nagpur district authorities. Archived from the original on 10 April 2009. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "IR History: Early Days – III". Chronology of railways in India, Part 3 (1900-1947). Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "History of Electrification". IRFCA. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Chapter II – The Maintenance of Permanent Way". Archived from the original on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Indian Railways Passenger Reservation Enquiry". Availability in trains for Top 100 Booking Stations of Indian Railways. IRFCA. Archived from the original on 10 May 2014. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Sheds and Workshops". IRFCA. Retrieved 22 November 2013.