|Owner||Government of Odisha|
|Locale||Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India and Cuttack, Odisha, India|
|Transit type||Straddle-beam monorail|
|Number of lines||TBD|
|Number of stations||TBD|
|System length||30 km (18.64 mi)|
On 27 July 2010, the state transport department said that it had asked Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) to conduct a survey on the possibility of connecting Bhubaneswar and Cuttack by metro rail. On 8 January 2013, E. Sreedharan, principal advisor of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC), said that a metro rail was unsuitable for Bhubaneswar, because it was more suited for cities with more than 2 million in population. He suggested that Bhubaneswar should invest in bus rapid transit system or high speed tramway system instead.
On 9 January 2013, Engineering Projects India Ltd. gave a proposal to the state government about a monorail project between Cuttack and Bhubaneswar. On 23 August 2014, the state government signed a contract with Balaji Railroad Systems Ltd. (BARSYL) for preparation of a detailed project report for a mass rapid transit system (MRTS) between Bhubaneswar and Cuttack covering 30 km. BARSYL would get ₹2.52 crore for preparation of the plan to be submitted in ten months.
In January 2013, E. Sreedharan stated that Bhubaneswar not yet ready for metro rail citing its low population. Orissa Chief Secretary Aditya Prasad Padhi stated in February 2017 that there was no immediate feasibility for a metro rail system in Bhubaneswar, and a bus rapid transit system would be developed instead.
BARSYL will be paid ₹2.52 crore for the detailed project report. The cost per kilometer has been estimated at ₹150 crore. The project is expected to cost ₹2,250 crore, half of which will be paid by the central government under the Urban Transport Planning scheme and the other half by the state government.
The project will initially cover the 30 km between the Bhubaneswar and Cuttack. It will serve the Bhubaneswar-Cuttack Urban Complex (BCUC).
- "Metro track for twin cities on anvil". The Telegraph (India). 28 July 2010. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "Bhubaneswar not yet ready for metro rail: Sreedharan". Business Standard. 8 January 2013. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "Odisha plans Monorail transit system for Cuttack and Bhubaneswar". The Economic Times. 9 January 2013. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "MRTS travel in state likely in five years". Business Standard. 24 August 2014. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "Monorail process takes off — Private firm to prepare detailed project report". The Telegraph (India). 23 August 2014. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- Reporter, B. S. (8 January 2013). "Bhubaneswar not yet ready for metro rail: Sreedharan". Business Standard India. Retrieved 17 March 2017.
- "Bhubaneswar Pitches For Bus Based Urban Transport System". BW SC. Retrieved 17 March 2017.
|This Indian rail transport related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|