From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up Bias or bias in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Bias is an inclination towards something, or a predisposition, partiality, prejudice, preference, or predilection.
Bias may also refer to:
- Confirmation bias, tendency of people to favor information that confirm their beliefs of hypothesis
- Cognitive bias, any of a wide range of observer effects identified in cognitive science.
- See List of cognitive biases for a comprehensive list
- Cultural bias, interpreting and judging phenomena in terms particular to one's own culture
- Funding bias, bias relative to the commercial interests of a study's financial sponsor
- Infrastructure bias, the influence of existing social or scientific infrastructure on scientific observations
- Media bias, the influence journalists and news producers have in selecting stories to report and how they are covered
- Publication bias, bias towards publication of certain experimental results
Mathematics and engineering
- Bias (statistics), the systematic distortion of a statistic
- Exponent bias, the constant offset of an exponent's value
- Biasing, a voltage or current added to an electronic device to move its operating point to a desired part of its transfer function
- Grid bias of a vacuum tube, used to control the electron flow from the heated cathode to the positively charged anode
- Tape bias (also AC bias), a high-frequency signal (generally from 40 to 150 kHz) added to the audio signal recorded on an analog tape recorder
- Bias, Landes, on the coast in southwestern France
- Bias, Lot-et-Garonne, in southwestern France
- Bias, West Virginia, a community in the United States
- Bias Bay, now called Daya Bay, in China's Guangdong Province
- Bias River, a river in north-western India
- Bias of Priene, one of the Seven Sages of Greece
- Fanny Bias[fr] (1789—1825), French dancer, one of the first who raised on pointes
- Len Bias (1963–1986), basketball player
- Bias (mythology), the brother of Melampus in Greek mythology
- Bias Brahmin, a Brahmin community found in India
In other areas
- BIAS (Berkley Integrated Audio Software), a software company specializing in sound processing software such as Peak and SoundSoap
- Bias (book), a book by journalist Bernard Goldberg
- Bias (genus), the genus of the black-and-white shrike-flycatcher
- Bias (textile) of a woven fabric, the 45-degree diagonal line along which it is most stretchable
- Bias frame, an image obtained from an opto-electronic image sensor, with no actual exposure time
- Bias ratio (finance), an indicator used in finance to analyze the returns of investment portfolios, and in performing due diligence
- Bremer Institut für angewandte Strahltechnik (BIAS), a research institute dedicated to applied laser optics
- Belgian International Air Services (BIAS), a former airline from Belgium (1959–80)
- Birla Institute of Applied Sciences (BIAS), a higher education institute located in Bhimtal, Uttaranchal, India
- All articles with titles beginning with "Bias"
- All articles with titles containing "Bias"
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Bias.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.