Bible in Basic English
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2013)|
|Bible in Basic English|
|Full name||Bible in Basic English|
|Authorship||S. H. Hooke (ed.)|
|Textual basis||Hebrew / Greek|
|Publisher||Cambridge University Press|
|The Bible in English|
The Bible In Basic English (also known as BBE) is a translation of the Bible into Basic English. The BBE was translated by Professor S. H. Hooke using the standard 850 Basic English words. 100 words that were helpful to understand poetry were added along with 50 "Bible" words for a total of 1,000 words. This version is effective in communicating the Bible to those with limited education or where English is a second language. The New Testament was released in 1941 and the Old Testament was released in 1949.
- A similar project is the EasyEnglish version from Wycliffe Bible Translators.
- There is also the Bible in Worldwide English
- The New International Reader's Version is a simplified English version of the New International Version
- Text of the BBE, searchable; the KJV and CUV are available for comparison
- Bible Study Tools - Bible in Basic English
- BBE on StudyBible.info
- Downloadable PDF of the Bible in Basic English