The Society holds a monthly lecture between October and May, usually on the third Tuesday of the month at University College London.
The first fifty years of the Bibliographical Society were documented in the book The Bibliographical Society, 1892–1942: Studies in Retrospect. The Book Encompassed, a volume of essays marking the Society's centenary was published in 1992.
The objectives of the Society are:
- to promote and encourage study and research in the fields of:
- to hold meetings at which papers are read and discussed
- to print and publish a journal (The Library) and books concerned with bibliography
- to maintain a bibliographical library
- from time to time to award a medal for services to bibliography
- to support bibliographical research by awarding grants and bursaries
The Society has published a journal since 1893, originally entitled Transactions of the Bibliographical Society. In 1920 it took over publication of The Library (issued since 1889) and adopted that as the main title of the Transactions. (The Library was founded in 1889 by John Young Walker MacAlister.) The different series of the Transactions and The Library are:
- Transactions of the Bibliographical Society, vol. 1–15 (1893–1919)
- The Library, vol. 1–10 (1889–1898)
- The Library, Second/New series, vol. 1–10 (1900–1910)
- The Library, Third series, vol. 1–10 (1910–1919)
- The Library, Fourth series, vol. 1–26 (1920–1946)
- The Library, Fifth series, vol. 1–33 (1946–1978)
- The Library, Sixth series, vol. 1–21 (1979–1999)
- The Library, Seventh series, vol. 1– (2000– )
The Society occasionally awards a gold medal for distinguished services to bibliography to individuals who have made an outstanding contribution to the development of the subject and the furtherance of the Society's aims.
Library and archives
- Bibliographical Society of America
- Sir Frank Francis and Julian Roberts, former joint secretaries of the Society
- The Bibliographical Society, 1892–1942: Studies in Retrospect (London, 1949).
- Peter Davison, ed., The Book Encompassed: Studies in Twentieth-century Bibliography (Cambridge, 1992) ISBN 978-0-521-41878-2.
- "MacAlister, John Y. W.". Who's Who: p. 1389. 1916.
- "Gold Medalists". Bibliographical Society. Retrieved 29 April 2016.
- Bibliographical Society official website
- Transactions of the Bibliographical Society, 1893-, London: Bibliographical Society (HathiTrust)