Bicester North railway station
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The station in 2011, after completion of widening work on the southbound platform
|Local authority||District of Cherwell|
|Managed by||Chiltern Railways|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Key dates||Opened 1 July 1910|
|Original company||Great Western Railway|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Bicester North from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Bicester North i// is a station on the Chiltern Main Line, one of two stations serving Bicester in Oxfordshire. Services operated by Chiltern Railways run south to London Marylebone and north to Banbury, Birmingham Snow Hill and Stratford-upon-Avon.
Bicester North is one of Bicester's two stations. The other is Bicester Village on the Oxford to London Marylebone Line.
The 'Bicester cut-off' between Ashendon Junction and Aynho Junction was opened in 1910 - the final main-line stretch of route to be completed in Britain until the 1980s. This provided a shortening of the London-to-Birmingham GWR main rail line, and also gave Bicester a station with direct London trains for the first time.
In recent years passenger traffic at Bicester North has grown rapidly. In the seven years 2003–10 the number of passengers using the station increased by 89%.
The Monday - Friday off-peak service consists of:
- 2 trains per hour to London Marylebone, one of which is non-stop.
- 1 train per hour to Banbury
- 1 train per hour to Birmingham Snow Hill
Additional services run at peak hours, and other timetabled services run at weekends.
In 2010 the down line through the station was realigned for higher speeds, as part of the Evergreen 3 project. In 2011, the up (southbound) platform was widened, using the trackbed of the former through lines.
Operator and routes
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|King's Sutton||Chiltern Railways
Chiltern Main Line
Line open, station closed
|Great Western Railway
Line open, station closed
- Slater, J.N., ed. (May 1974). "Notes and News: Transfer of Marylebone-Banbury services". Railway Magazine. London: IPC Transport Press Ltd. 120 (877): 248. ISSN 0033-8923.
- Office of the Rail Regulator data: see infobox at head of article.
- "Evergreen 3 progress". Modern Railways. London. December 2010. p. 9.
- Train times and station information for Bicester North railway station from National Rail
- for Bicester North railway station