Bickley shown within Greater London
(ward, 2001 Census)
|OS grid reference|
|Ceremonial county||Greater London|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|UK Parliament||Bromley & Chislehurst|
|London Assembly||Bexley and Bromley|
Bickley is a town in Greater London, within the London Borough of Bromley. It is located east of Bromley and is situated 10.4 miles (16.7 km) south east of Charing Cross. Well known for its large and expensive houses, Bickley boasts being one of the richest areas within England.
Bickley has large and expensive houses on roads such as Oldfield Road, Southborough Road, Page Heath Lane and Blackbrook Lane. Bickley Park contains a range of large houses, making it one of the most expensive areas within the Capital to live, it is the area between Chislehurst Road and Bickley Park Road extending to the railway at Chislehurst station. This area was the estate of Bickley Hall, a classical house designed by Robert Mylne, FRS, for John Wells, shipbuilder, in 1780 (demolished 1963). His brother William, shipbuilder and a director of Greenwich Hospital, inherited the estate, and his son John commissioned additions by Robert Smirke in 1810. Residential development started in the 1860s and was completed in the 1960s.
- Nicholas Cornwell,sculptor, barber, humanitarian.
- Evelyn Arthur Hellicar (1862–1929), architect.
- Gertrude Hermes (1901-1983) wood engraver, print maker and sculptor.
- Ethel Hurlbatt, principal of Bedford College, London.
- Pixie Lott (born 1991), singer-songwriter.
- Ernest Newton (1856–1921), architect.
- Charles Henry Bourne Quennell (1872–1935), architect and writer.
- Marjorie Quennell née Courtnay (1884–1972), artist, writer and museum curator.
- Peter Courtney Quennell (1905-1993), biographer, literary historian, editor, essayist, poet, and critic.
- John Wells (1761-1846), of Bickley Hall, High Sheriff of Kent. MP for Maidstone
- George Wythes (1811-1883) of Worcestershire, Copped Hall in Essex and later of Bickley Hall, industrialist, railway contractor (worldwide) and Associate of the Institution of Civil Engineers.
- T-Bone Rude Dawgg aka Potsy Dem Guyz. Digital entrepreneur, Lamborghini owner and rapstar. Owner of the worlds largest collection of electric bass guitars. Used to work in Bickley for about a year.
Parks in Bickley
Jubilee Country Park
With entrances in Thornet Wood Road and Blackbrook lane, there are 62 acres (25 hectares) of wildflower meadows, hedgerows and semi-natural ancient woodland. There is a cycle route through this park to Petts Wood. The London LOOP footpath also goes through Jubilee Park and it is linked to National Trust countryside at Petts Wood and beyond that to Scadbury Park Nature Reserve.
Whitehall Recreation Ground
A large play area on Southlands Road with children's playground.
Widmore Recreation Ground
A small local park with a children's playground which has entrances in Pembroke Road, Lewes Road and Tylney Road.
Schools in Bickley
- Bickley Park
- Bickley Primary School
- Breaside Preparatory School (Independent)
- Bromley High School (Independent)
- Bullers Wood School
- Scotts Park Primary
- St. George's Bickley Primary
Bickley Station serves the area with services to London Victoria Via Herne Hill, Kentish Town Via Catford, Orpington and Sevenoaks Via Swanley. Bickley is served by several Transport for London buses, connecting it with areas including Beckenham, Bexleyheath, Bromley, Catford, Chislehurst, Eltham, Locksbottom, Orpington, Petts Wood and Sidcup.
- Sundridge Park
- Petts Wood
- New Eltham
- St Pauls Cray
Places of Worship
- St George's Church
- St. Augustine's Church
- Southborough Lane Baptist Church
- Bromley.org 2001 Census information for the Bickley ward "Bickley ward population - 13904"
- MacDougall, Philip (2004). "Wells, William". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/64870. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- [dead link]
- Wythes, George. "George Wythes". Grace's Guide.
- Chislehurst, Petts Wood & Bickley Village News
- Bickley Park Cricket Club
- Bromley Councillors
- 162 bus timetable
- 208/N47 bus timetable
- 269 bus timetable
- 314 bus timetable
- 336 bus timetable
- R7 bus timetable