Bidalasana (Sanskrit: बिडालासन; IAST: biḍālāsana) or Marjariasana (Sanskrit: मार्जरीआसन; IAST: mārjarīāsana), both meaning Cat Pose in Sanskrit, is a kneeling asana in modern yoga as exercise. A variant with one leg held out is Vyaghrasana (Sanskrit: व्याघ्रासन; IAST: vyaghrāsana), Tiger Pose. A variant with the back lowered is Bitilasana (Sanskrit: बितिलासन; IAST: bitilāsana), Cow Pose; this is often used as the counter-posture, and a widely used exercise is to alternate between Cat and Cow Poses repeatedly.
Etymology and origins
The name Bidalasana, बिडालासन, is from the Sanskrit बिडाल, biḍāl, meaning "cat", and "āsana" meaning "posture" or "seat". The alternative name Marjariasana (also written Marjaryasana), मार्जरीआसन, is similarly from मार्जरी, mārjarī, also meaning "cat". A similar pose was described in Niels Bukh's early 20th century Danish text Primary Gymnastics as "prone-kneeling position", which in turn was derived from a 19th century Scandinavian tradition of gymnastics.
In variations of the pose, one leg is stretched out straight, and the knee of the stretched out leg may then be bent so the foot points straight up; the opposite hand may also be stretched out; this is called Vyaghrasana, Tiger Pose.
Cat Pose is often alternated with Bitilasana, Cow Pose, where the belly and back are lowered and the hips and shoulders remain unmoved.
- YJ Editors (28 August 2007). "Cat Pose - Marjaryasana". Yoga Journal.
- Holstein, Barbara B. (1988). Shaping Up for a Healthy Pregnancy. Life Enhancement Publications. p. 76. ISBN 978-0-87322-926-5.
- "Cat Pose". Yoga Journal. 7 January 2019 .
- Bukh, Niels (2010) . Primary Gymnastics. Tufts Press. p. 42. ISBN 978-1446527351.
- Singleton, Mark (4 February 2011). "The Ancient & Modern Roots of Yoga". Yoga Journal.
- Sjoman, Norman E. (1999) . The Yoga Tradition of the Mysore Palace. Abhinav Publications. pp. 81 and plate 14 (pose 82). ISBN 81-7017-389-2.
- Schiffmann, Erich (2013). Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness. Simon and Schuster. pp. 89–94. ISBN 978-1-4767-3562-7.
- Lidell, Lucy; The Sivananda Yoga Centre (1983). The book of yoga. Ebury. p. 166. ISBN 978-0-85223-297-2. OCLC 12457963.
- "Vyaghrasana – Tiger Pose". Pranayoga. 27 July 2014. Retrieved 4 February 2019.
- "Vyaghrasana | The Tiger". Yoga in Daily Life. Retrieved 29 March 2019.
- "Cow Pose". Yoga Journal. 7 January 2019. Retrieved 27 April 2019.