Bidenichthys beeblebroxi is a species of common reef fish of the Bythitidae family, and one of three species in the genus Bidenichthys. The species is found in the coastal waters off North Island and northern South Island, New Zealand. It is a common, uniformly gray-brown fish, ranging from SL 6.5–9.5 centimetres (2 1⁄2–3 3⁄4 in) long in one study, found in holes beneath rocks and boulders in kelp forest and other reef habitats from the surface down to depths of 30 metres (98 ft). The species was described by Paulin in 1995.
The common names gray or grey brotula and orange cuskeel were used to describe Bidenichthys consobrinus (F. W. Hutton, 1876) prior to Paulin's 1995 redescription of B. consobrinus and description of B. beeblebroxi, in which Paulin referred to "the common grey brotula, here described as a new species [B. beeblebroxi], and Hutton's 'consobrinus'...".
- Roberts, CD; Stewart, AL (2006). Diversity and biogeography of coastal fishes of the East Cape Region of New Zealand (PDF). Science for Conservation. Wellington, NZ: Science & Technical Publishing. p. 20. ISBN 0-478-14049-5. ISSN 1173-2946. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2013-12-24.
- "ITIS standard report page: Bidenichthys beeblebroxi (Paulin, 1995)". Integrated Taxonomic Information System. Archived from the original on 20 December 2013. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- Nielsen, JG; Cohen, DM; Markle, DF; Robins, CR (1999). FAO species catalog, Volume 18: Ophidiiform fishes of the world (Order Ophidiiformes): An annotated and illustrated catalogue of pearlfishes, cusk-eels, brotulas and other ophidiiform fishes known to date (PDF). FAO species catalog. 18. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. p. 118. ISBN 92-5-104375-2.
- Nielsen, JG; Schwarzhans, W; Møller, PR (2004). "Reassignment of Melodicthys paxtoni to the genus Fiordicthys (Teleostei, Bythitidae)" (PDF). Cybium. 28 (1): 37–41. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2016-08-18.
- Willis, TJ; Anderson, MJ (2003). "Structure of cryptic reef fish assemblages: relationships with habitat characteristics and predator density" (PDF). Marine Ecology Progress Series. 257: 209–221. doi:10.3354/meps257209. ISSN 0171-8630. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2013-12-24.
- "WoRMS taxon details - Bidenichthys beeblebroxi (Paulin, 1995)". World Register of Marine Species. Archived from the original on 20 December 2013. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- Paulin, C.D. (1995). "Description of a new genus and two new species of bythitid fishes, and a redescription ofBidenichthys consobrinus(Hutton) from New Zealand". Journal of Natural History. 29 (1): 249–258. doi:10.1080/00222939500770121. ISSN 0022-2933.
- Muckenfuss, Mark (12 May 2013). "UCR: New wasp carries university's name". The Press-Enterprise. Freedom Communications. Archived from the original on 20 December 2013. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Common Names for Brelich's Snub-nosed Monkey (Pygathrix brelichi)". Encyclopedia of Life. Archived from the original on 24 December 2013. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- Ayling, Tony; Cox, Geoffrey J. (1982). Collins Guide to the Sea Fishes of New Zealand. Collins. p. 153. ISBN 978-0-00-216987-5. Archived from the original on 2017-12-11.
|This Bythitidae-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|